Buying a cottage

TJKansai
Veteran

Re: Buying a cottage

Post by TJKansai »

We spend a couple weeks in Nagano each summer/winter and have been tempted, but it is just too far from Kansai to go often. Some properties in towns in the vicinity of Lake Nojiri are practically free, as the villages are desperate to attract residents.

A place that could be rented to skiers is also tempting, but with snow being so inconsistent I think better to give it a miss.

I know I guy who bought a nice besso cheap and made it his first home, then got a better job in Toyama and only makes it back every other month. As is common, kids' schooling/club activities cramps mobile lifestyle.

My father-in-law has an entire hillside, but with no road access, so it is worthless (hardly any tax though). At one point during the bubble there was talk of a developer coming in, but those days are long gone.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

TJKansai wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:44 pm We spend a couple weeks in Nagano each summer/winter and have been tempted, but it is just too far from Kansai to go often. Some properties in towns in the vicinity of Lake Nojiri are practically free, as the villages are desperate to attract residents.
One of our longtime friends here grew up in japan--his parents were missionaries. He has talked about how they spent 'summers' at nojiri-ko, a long trek from shikoku, where they were at the time. And it was also around 1960 or so, and that kind of trip then was a different kind of thing. It was mission property that they could use, and my impression is that it was really close--if not on--the water. A different era--no indoor 'plumbing', and they had a well (he had to haul water).
Bushiman
Veteran

Post by Bushiman »

captainspoke wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:42 pm
TJKansai wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:44 pm We spend a couple weeks in Nagano each summer/winter and have been tempted, but it is just too far from Kansai to go often. Some properties in towns in the vicinity of Lake Nojiri are practically free, as the villages are desperate to attract residents.
One of our longtime friends here grew up in japan--his parents were missionaries. He has talked about how they spent 'summers' at nojiri-ko, a long trek from shikoku, where they were at the time. And it was also around 1960 or so, and that kind of trip then was a different kind of thing. It was mission property that they could use, and my impression is that it was really close--if not on--the water. A different era--no indoor 'plumbing', and they had a well (he had to haul water).
Nojiriko has a bunch of missionary buildings along the banks of the lake still to this day. It's very busy with them over the summer months...
Nojiri is a fantastic place to swim, SUP and kayak... Being only 40mins up the road, I usually cruise up there at least a few times a year...

The comment about "renting a place to skiers is also tempting, but with snow being so inconsistent I think better to give it a miss" is definitely a good point... Unless the ski hill has a decent green season as well i.e. mountain biking, I wouldn't touch a property near a resort...
iDeCo -> Established
新NISA -> Established
Jr NISA -> Established (Running quietly in the background)
UK Pension Voluntary Contributions -> Up and running
All thanks to RetireJapan...
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

captainspoke wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:42 pmIt was mission property that they could use, and my impression is that it was really close--if not on--the water. A different era--no indoor 'plumbing', and they had a well (he had to haul water).
The main buildings are lakeside, with most cabins on the steep hill. Lots of walking, very little parking.

It is run a lot like an American Christian summer camp, but in this case filled with bicultural, multilingual, international residents of Japan.

It is now hitting its Centenary this summer. There are still a few places with water issues, but flush toilets and hot water are now in most cabins. Actually, they use the word "cabin" is used to refer to anything from 40sqm to 500sqm. Most are in the 50-70sqm size.

You can access part of the site here https://nlaweb.com/

Great place for kids.