General investing advice for an American

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
runmanTX
Regular

Re: General investing advice for an American

Post by runmanTX »

TokyoWart wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:04 pm I own both VOO and VTI and am happy with them. The friction costs I refer to are the bid/ask spread you face for any stock or ETF transaction. It is relatively small for an ETF like VTI (maybe pennies per share). There’s also a bit of price discovery that happens at the beginning of the trading day for all ETFs as the underlying stocks in the ETF begin to be priced and I have heard Vanguard’s head of US ETF capital markets Janel Jackson recommend against ETF orders during the opening hour of trading because of that inefficiency but it’s probably hard to quantity. (You can hear her on a recent ETF Prime podcast.)

I used to do my Japanese taxes at the tax office with their staff but found out that the staff often made mistakes then I used a Zeirishi who also made mistakes so now my employer pays for an accounting firm to do them.
Sorry for the late reply.
Glad to hear you like VOO and VTI. They both seem recommended by others as well through my research.
Tax staff making mistakes and a supposed professional tax guy also = bad news, indeed. It's quite lucky your employer pays for it.
Thanks.