Simple Q&A - NISA

zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by zeroshiki »

Ichigo wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:12 am I have a question on reserve purchase date (積立買付日) and actual withdrawal date (引落日(原則)) regarding Tsumitate Nisa (using Monex).

Let's say my reserve purchase date is on the 15th every month, the fund I want to buy is worth 15,000 Y, but on the actual withdrawal date it has risen to 16.000 Y. Will I get charged the higher amount on the actual withdrawal date?

I was wondering if it is possible in Tsumitate Nisa to purchase (reserve) more when a fund goes slightly down? Or am I not able to control that?

As an example: Today I noticed my fund went down significantly and I want to buy more. Since I have a lot of my Tsumitate Nisa allowance left, I want to use the bonus option and invest 200,000 Y with my next payment. If I select today's date as reserve purchase date, is that lower price guaranteed, because it was "reserved" for that price? Sorry for the silly question :D

Thank you!
Assuming what you're trying to buy is a mutual fund, the "price" doesn't matter. You will buy 15,000 JPY worth of the fund. You get just less "units" of it.

As for timing, no its not possible since MFs take a few days to get purchased (the units have to actually be purchased so it takes 2-3 days). The standard warnings about timing the market apply here.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Ichigo wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:12 am I have a question on reserve purchase date (積立買付日) and actual withdrawal date (引落日(原則)) regarding Tsumitate Nisa (using Monex).

Let's say my reserve purchase date is on the 15th every month, the fund I want to buy is worth 15,000 Y, but on the actual withdrawal date it has risen to 16.000 Y. Will I get charged the higher amount on the actual withdrawal date?
Thank you!
No worries. This is not a concern because you can buy a specific yen amount of a mutual fund (tsumitate NISA only contains mutual funds). So it doesn't matter what the fund price is, you will just buy 15,000 yen's worth each time.

With stocks and ETFs, you can only buy them in single units, so the price does matter.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

zeroshiki wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:06 am You can set it up to buy on any date you want unless you're using a CC which forces you to lock in your purchase every 15th of the month and then buys the fund on the 8th (Rakuten).
Wait a minute! It's possible to make NISA contributions by credit card!?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

AreTheyTheLemmings? wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:12 am
zeroshiki wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:06 am You can set it up to buy on any date you want unless you're using a CC which forces you to lock in your purchase every 15th of the month and then buys the fund on the 8th (Rakuten).
Yes, upto 50,000 JPY on Rakuten (Rakuten Card), SBI (SMBC Card) and soon Monex (Monex card).
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

zeroshiki wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:18 am SBI (SMBC Card)
I should probably check that out, but I'm not sure I need YACC (yet another credit card).
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

zeroshiki wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:18 am
AreTheyTheLemmings? wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:12 am
Yes, upto 50,000 JPY on Rakuten (Rakuten Card), SBI (SMBC Card) and soon Monex (Monex card).
Ah, I see. Not any credit card (such as my Saison card, which accrues air miles) but their own ones? Oh well...
7-seasons.com
Regular

Post by 7-seasons.com »

When does the new year start to be able to deposit and invest another full year's worth of funds for the NISA?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

7-seasons.com wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:32 pm When does the new year start to be able to deposit and invest another full year's worth of funds for the NISA?
January! NISA runs Jan to Dec each year. For ordinary NISA, that means you want to finalise your purchases by early December to make sure they go through in time.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
EmaxisSlim Cultist
Veteran

Post by EmaxisSlim Cultist »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:41 am
7-seasons.com wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:32 pm When does the new year start to be able to deposit and invest another full year's worth of funds for the NISA?
January! NISA runs Jan to Dec each year. For ordinary NISA, that means you want to finalise your purchases by early December to make sure they go through in time.
Technically they accept the next year's orders in the last week of December.

The Deadline for 2021 order will be around Christmas time. There are separate deadlines for Domestic/international/MF etc listed on each brokerage.

I would imagine the real tsumitate deadline might be sometime in November due to the delay in processing changes and payments.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

EmaxisSlim Cultist wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:39 am Technically they accept the next year's orders in the last week of December.

The Deadline for 2021 order will be around Christmas time. There are separate deadlines for Domestic/international/MF etc listed on each brokerage.

I would imagine the real tsumitate deadline might be sometime in November due to the delay in processing changes and payments.
Yeah, I wouldn't advise people to leave it to the last minute though! Doesn't seem worth it if there is a chance of losing your current allowance ;)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)