Simple Q&A - NISA

thejunman

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by thejunman »

I've finally set up my Securities and NISA Account and I'm just researching which Index Funds to start off with.

If I start investing in one index fund but later I decide I want to invest in a different index fund, what do I do? Do I just sell it then re-invest it into another index fund? Would there be any costs involved?
English instructor from the UK living and working in Tokyo.

Completely new to the whole investment game so forgive my stupid questions. :lol:
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

thejunman wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:11 pm I've finally set up my Securities and NISA Account and I'm just researching which Index Funds to start off with.

If I start investing in one index fund but later I decide I want to invest in a different index fund, what do I do? Do I just sell it then re-invest it into another index fund? Would there be any costs involved?
On the fund page look for 解約手数料(税込)

If that says なし then no special fee to get out. I think no fee is common for the types of funds people here use/recommend.
"Desperately Seeking Severance”
thejunman

Post by thejunman »

Moneymatters wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:22 pm On the fund page look for 解約手数料(税込)

If that says なし then no special fee to get out. I think no fee is common for the types of funds people here use/recommend.
Do I need to transfer the money to the Brokerage Account first before I can invest it in the NISA Account?

Completely new to the whole investment game so forgive my stupid questions. :lol:
Established
Veteran

Post by Established »

thejunman wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:30 pm
Moneymatters wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:22 pm On the fund page look for 解約手数料(税込)

Do I need to transfer the money to the Brokerage Account first before I can invest it in the NISA Account?
Yes, and no. You can set the NISA account to invest on a monthly basis and scoop the money out of your credit card or bank account. However, nothing is purchased until the funds are vested (received and processed).

(There are margin accounts where you can borrow from the exchange at a set rate, but those need to be separately applied for).
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

thejunman wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:11 pm I've finally set up my Securities and NISA Account and I'm just researching which Index Funds to start off with.

Usually unless the reason you want to get out of the fund is because of extortionate fees (and even then) it doesn't really make sense to take your fund out of NISA before the tax-free period expiration since the fund will still grow even if its slower. The recommendation is to just close your eyes and forget about it and buy your new fund going forward.
thejunman

Post by thejunman »

A separate question (kind of):

If I want to transfer money to my brokerage account, does the name on bank account have to match the brokerage account exactly?

pfdsa
Veteran

Post by pfdsa »

thejunman wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:26 pm A separate question (kind of):

If I want to transfer money to my brokerage account, does the name on bank account have to match the brokerage account exactly?
At least with Rakuten securities it does. To register/link a bank account or a credit card it needs to have the exact same name, order and spaces.
I'm currently struggling with that because of the spaces in my name. Set up my nisa some months ago but still didn't manage to get it going due to that.
John_conner
Regular

Post by John_conner »

Hi

I just got my tsumite NISA.

Is it best to space out the 400,000 or do people do big lump buys?

May I ask what you guys are buyinh in the tsumite? I see a lot of people saying to go just for the s&p500 fund

Many thanks
JapaneseMike
Veteran

Post by JapaneseMike »

John_conner wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:55 am Hi

I just got my tsumite NISA.

Is it best to space out the 400,000 or do people do big lump buys?

May I ask what you guys are buyinh in the tsumite? I see a lot of people saying to go just for the s&p500 fund

Many thanks
For 2021, if you:ve got the cash, drop all 400,000 now.

For 2022, you could drop itall in January, or you can automate for regular collections.

Doing it all on Jan 1st
Pro - In the long run this will beat DCA (dollar cost averaging) given that tsumitate runs for 20 years
Con - You might forget to do it

Automating it for daily/weekly purchases
Pro - dollar cost averaging. You buy both the peaks and the troughs so you gain less benefit from the troughs, but you reduce your risk of "buying the peak" relative to single (larger transactions)
Pro - forget about it completely. Look back in 21 years time and see what youve won
Con - as before, DCA while risk averse is poorer returns statistically
thejunman

Post by thejunman »

pfdsa wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:16 pm At least with Rakuten securities it does. To register/link a bank account or a credit card it needs to have the exact same name, order and spaces.
I'm currently struggling with that because of the spaces in my name. Set up my nisa some months ago but still didn't manage to get it going due to that.
I just called them now and they told me that it's okay that my name on my MUFG Bank Account is not exactly the same as my name on the Rakuten Securities Account.