Simple Q&A - NISA

zeroshiki
Veteran

Re: Simple Q&A - NISA

Post by zeroshiki »

John_conner wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:47 am
zeroshiki wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:36 am
John_conner wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:31 am

I pay into my un pension, Japanese pension, just opened a Rakuten account. Problem is don’t know where I will be in the future here or the uk
In that case, opening regular NISA (5 years tax free, 1.2M JPY limit annually) might be what you're looking for. Tsumitate NISA is for 20 years with a 400k max per year. If you think you can go over 400k a year and you're not sure if you're in Japan long term, regular NISA would be the safe bet.

Many thanks

Can the 5 years NISA only be done once?

Would even 10 years in the ideco be worth it?

Thanks
Regular NISA (and New Regular NISA) is set to end in 2028. If you buy NISA now and the 5 years are up in 2027, you can rollover to a fresh NISA using your 2027 allocation.
iDECO doesn't allow you to withdraw your money out until you're 60 so even if you leave Japan in 10 years, your money would just be sitting in the iDECO account with no way for you to pull it out (easily).
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Is it possible to have a regular NISA, and a Tsumitate NISA with the same company?
Is it sensible?
I can only afford to put away maybe 20,000 a month, max. Should I slap it all in a regular, or Tsumitate? Or separate half and half? I read recently (somewhere on these forums I believe), that a regular usually outperforms a Tsumitate so was just curious. Thanks in advance.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

KCLenny wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:40 am Is it possible to have a regular NISA, and a Tsumitate NISA with the same company?
Is it sensible?
I can only afford to put away maybe 20,000 a month, max. Should I slap it all in a regular, or Tsumitate? Or separate half and half? I read recently (somewhere on these forums I believe), that a regular usually outperforms a Tsumitate so was just curious. Thanks in advance.
Tsumitate is tax-free for longer (20 years vs 5), so if you can only invest 20,000 yen a month I would put it in there.

You are not allowed to have more than one NISA account per calendar year (so tsumitate OR regular).

Performance depends on what you buy, not the type of account.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:48 am
KCLenny wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:40 am Is it possible to have a regular NISA, and a Tsumitate NISA with the same company?
Is it sensible?
Tsumitate is tax-free for longer (20 years vs 5), so if you can only invest 20,000 yen a month I would put it in there.

You are not allowed to have more than one NISA account per calendar year (so tsumitate OR regular).

Performance depends on what you buy, not the type of account.
So just stick with Tsumitate then?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

KCLenny wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:49 am So just stick with Tsumitate then?
Pretty much! Start with 20,000 a month, try to increase it to the max (33,333 a month). Leave it to grow tax-free for twenty years. Be pleasantly surprised in 2040 ;)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

I don’t know if this is normal, but I now have less money in my Tsumitate NISA than I have deposited. (Deposited ¥30,00, now about ¥29,500). Is that normal? I’m on emaxis slim all country. Have I just started it at a bad time? Or do I seriously need to think about pausing it for a while?
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

KCLenny wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:21 pm I don’t know if this is normal, but I now have less money in my Tsumitate NISA than I have deposited. (Deposited ¥30,00, now about ¥29,500). Is that normal? I’m on emaxis slim all country. Have I just started it at a bad time? Or do I seriously need to think about pausing it for a while?
It's completely normal. Investments go down as well as up. Don't worry about short-term movements. Just keep investing and think about the long-term growth.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

fools_gold wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:38 pm
KCLenny wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:21 pm I don’t know if this is normal, but I now have less money in my Tsumitate NISA than I have deposited. (Deposited ¥30,00, now about ¥29,500). Is that normal? I’m on emaxis slim all country. Have I just started it at a bad time? Or do I seriously need to think about pausing it for a while?
It's completely normal. Investments go down as well as up. Don't worry about short-term movements. Just keep investing and think about the long-term growth.
Okay cheers. This is just my first time and got a little skittish about it going down.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

Stock market took a dive this past week. Best to just do a tsumitate and leave it or you'll go mad staring at stock charts.
Teflon
Veteran

Post by Teflon »

zeroshiki wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:52 am Stock market took a dive this past week. Best to just do a tsumitate and leave it or you'll go mad staring at stock charts.
Yes, I've been going mad staring at my NISA portfolio lately. I maxed out this years allocation in June and now all I can do is sit and watch it lose money. In early July it peaked with a gain of around 35,000 yen but now it's down about 12,000 yen. I keep telling myself to stop checking and just ride it out for a year but I can't help myself. Must be morbid curiosity. :lol: