Simple Q&A - iDeCo

beanhead
Sage

Re: Simple Q&A - iDeCo

Post by beanhead »

abeltoy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm How long until the amount paid gets reflected on the iDeCo website? They took my money from my bank account about 10 days ago but it still shows as 0円. I want to see the numbers go up!
Everything with iDeCo seems to take a long time. Patience is required.
Hopefully you have several decades of slow but steady growth to enjoy once it is set up.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

abeltoy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm How long until the amount paid gets reflected on the iDeCo website? They took my money from my bank account about 10 days ago but it still shows as 0円. I want to see the numbers go up!
iDeCo moves very slowly. 2-3 weeks.
Chris
Regular

Post by Chris »

Mine gets deducted from my bank account on the 26th of the Month. It will then appear on the iDeCo account around the 18th of the following month.
Chris
Regular

Post by Chris »

ghodlin wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:08 pm Does anyone know what happens if you leave your company or aree made redundant in terms of ideco accounts? What happens? What's the process? Thanks!
I think you need to notify them of any changes in name, address, employment etc.

If your employer is also deducting the contributions for you, it's likely you would have to set up contributions to come from your bank account.

That's why I opted for bank account deductions. That way should I ever leave my employer, I don't have to faff around with changing the methods of payment and risk missing months to contribute.
Moggy_the_cat

Post by Moggy_the_cat »

Good morning,

I have applied for an iDECO and Monex taxable account. I have received the forms and forwarded them to my company (a small one) because my boss (the company owner) agreed to deduct straight out of my pay check (he even asked me to contact another employee with an iDECO account setup via his company to ask her questions if necessary).

Today he received the forms and sent me a message saying that he refuses to set up the account for me. "We can be guarantor, but we are not planning to install iDECO as a welfare program for employees." he wrote. I thought iDECO was deducted from my paycheck and that the employer does not need to match it. His company does not have a pension plan, but I do pay 厚生年金. I politely asked why, but it is unlikely he will even answer.

So, I'd like to ask a couple of questions:

1. Can I do anything about this situation? Is his company required to do as I wish? Realistically, he is the owner of the company and who am I to argue with him?
2. Now that he refused, should I re-apply for a Monex iDECO account with updated information (i.e. my bank account details)? Or try again with SBI/Rakuten?
3. Does SBI/Rakuten have an e-Max Slim all country offering for iDECO like Monex does?

Thanks in advance for any piece of information.
Cheers!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Moggy_the_cat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:59 am Good morning,

I have applied for an iDECO and Monex taxable account. I have received the forms and forwarded them to my company (a small one) because my boss (the company owner) agreed to deduct straight out of my pay check (he even asked me to contact another employee with an iDECO account setup via his company to ask her questions if necessary).

Today he received the forms and sent me a message saying that he refuses to set up the account for me. "We can be guarantor, but we are not planning to install iDECO as a welfare program for employees." he wrote. I thought iDECO was deducted from my paycheck and that the employer does not need to match it. His company does not have a pension plan, but I do pay 厚生年金. I politely asked why, but it is unlikely he will even answer.

1. Can I do anything about this situation? Is his company required to do as I wish? Realistically, he is the owner of the company and who am I to argue with him?
2. Now that he refused, should I re-apply for a Monex iDECO account with updated information (i.e. my bank account details)? Or try again with SBI/Rakuten?
3. Does SBI/Rakuten have an e-Max Slim all country offering for iDECO like Monex does?

Cheers!
Your employer must fill in the iDeCo paperwork, but they can choose not to deduct the contributions from your paycheck. There is a box on the employer form for this that says something like 'employee requested salary withholding but we are not going to do it'. You just submit the paperwork to Monex and they will take the monthly payment from your bank instead. In November or so you will get a statement from Monex to submit for your end of year tax or tax return.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Moggy_the_cat

Post by Moggy_the_cat »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:42 am
Moggy_the_cat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:59 am Good morning,

Cheers!
Your employer must fill in the iDeCo paperwork, but they can choose not to deduct the contributions from your paycheck. There is a box on the employer form for this that says something like 'employee requested salary withholding but we are not going to do it'. You just submit the paperwork to Monex and they will take the monthly payment from your bank instead. In November or so you will get a statement from Monex to submit for your end of year tax or tax return.
Thank you very much for your quick reply!

Just got a message from the boss: "If it's corp iDECO, it all corp expense, and I can't deduct from your salary. It is fixed by lay (sic) as long as I search. So I believe in your case, you should apply private iDECO."

I guess I won't be able to enjoy the perk of having my employer deduct it for me so I wouldn't have to file the tax return. Oh well.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Moggy_the_cat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:46 am Thank you very much for your quick reply!

Just got a message from the boss: "If it's corp iDECO, it all corp expense, and I can't deduct from your salary. It is fixed by lay (sic) as long as I search. So I believe in your case, you should apply private iDECO."

I guess I won't be able to enjoy the perk of having my employer deduct it for me so I wouldn't have to file the tax return. Oh well.
Sounds like your boss doesn't really understand the iDeCo system. There is no corporate iDeCo (iDeCo stands for individual defined contribution account). They are probably referring to corporate DC (defined contribution) plans.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

I’m wanting to set up an ideco, with rakuten because all accounts with them already.
My question is, my boss is unlikely to help me with anything (as some of you may know from previous posts that she can be difficult), what do I need to do to ensure everything goes as smoothly as possible?
What tax exactly is reduced from paying into an ideco? And if my boss/company isn’t going to help, what stuff do I have to do in order to declare everything and be above board?
Finally, how much is ideco? Minimum a month?
Thanks in advance.
KCLenny
Veteran

Post by KCLenny »

Although it’s quite possible I’m completely ineligible in the first place as I’m current on a waiver and am exempt from paying pension due to low income…