Rakuten Vanguard ETF Funds

paul

Re: Rakuten Vanguard ETF Funds

Post by paul »

I currently hold VT directly through Rakuten, and am planning to buy more soon. What are the advantages/disadvantages versus just buying vt? I'm guessing less taxes as an advantage, slightly more fees as a disadvantage? Really trying to figure out what might be the practical difference over say a 20 year period.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

paul wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:48 am I currently hold VT directly through Rakuten, and am planning to buy more soon. What are the advantages/disadvantages versus just buying vt? I'm guessing less taxes as an advantage, slightly more fees as a disadvantage? Really trying to figure out what might be the practical difference over say a 20 year period.
My impression is that the advantage is that there are no minimum purchases, and you can buy in yen.
The disadvantage is that Rakuten takes a small fee.

Don't think this will change the withholding tax, it will just be paid by Rakuten instead of you.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
paul

Post by paul »

So if I'm buying, say, Y200,000 worth 4 times a year, and then holding 20 years, it seems like it would still be better to just buy directly?

...I know I should do the math myself, but you know...
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Now that they have reduced the minimum and maximum fee for buying foreign stocks, that might work.

I haven't done the maths yet ;)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
vapid
Regular

Post by vapid »

Awesome!
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

If they reinvest the dividends that would be awesome. Currently reinvesting manually at the moment. I also buy Vanguard's bond ETFs, so I'll probably just stick to my current way for the time being. If I find the time to find a Japan-based (but international) bond fund that seems as good as BND / BNDX, maybe I'll look into the Rakuten wrapper further.

Is there a purchase fee for the fund? I've not traded any mutual funds so far, only ETFs, so I'm not sure how it works. That would make a big difference if it could be bought for less than the ETF (although in Paul's case the ETF would be free if purchasing inside a NISA at SBI assuming he doesn't go over the NISA allowance with other purchases).
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

If I find the time to find a Japan-based (but international) bond fund that seems as good as BND / BNDX, maybe I'll look into the Rakuten wrapper further.
SBI's EXE-i international bond fund comprises of SCHZ (Schwab's equivalent of BND) and IGOV (iShares international treasuries fund). IGOV is probably a better bet if you're living in Japan as BNDX is hedged to the dollar. Fees for the SBI fund are about 0.4% though.
Ori
Veteran

Post by Ori »

It seems that Rakuten also created the regular mutual fund wrapper for Vanguard funds a few days ago, including the warpper for emerging markets.
Although, I'm not sure if there is any sense in buying anything else but US equities/bonds via US ETF due to the withholding tax. :?
robster
Regular

Post by robster »

paul wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:22 am So if I'm buying, say, Y200,000 worth 4 times a year, and then holding 20 years, it seems like it would still be better to just buy directly?

...I know I should do the math myself, but you know...
Is it possible for someone full-time tax-resident in Japan, and not holding any overseas bank accounts or brokerage accounts, to buy Vanguard ETFs directly, as opposed to buying through Rakuten or SBI? (sorry if this is a very basic question, I'm a beginner). :)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I've heard Vanguard won't let overseas residents have accounts with them, although if you already have one you might be able to keep using it to buy their mutual funds.

I don't think it really matters who you buy an ETF from.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)