Setting Up SBI Account

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
Les

Setting Up SBI Account

Post by Les »

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well. :)

I'm trying to connect my MUFJ account to my SBI account. It seems I can only have 17 characters for my name with SBI and my name has 18.
SBI won't allow any transfers as my name does not exactly match.

Before I hire a translator to accompany me to the bank, has anyone had this issue before??

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. :)

Cheers,

Les
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Setting Up SBI Account

Post by RetireJapan »

I would be careful about bringing this up with SBI if you are not able to communicate with them in Japanese. I know of people who have had their account closed after doing that.

If MUFG can't help you, you may be able to open a bank account with SBI (not ideal, but could be a workaround). They should be able to open it with the same name you have on your SBI securities account.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
mule96
Veteran

Post by mule96 »

You mean the ネット振込(EDI)system?

For me that stopped working when SBI decided to stop accepting Romaji Account Names and demanded Katakana, while UFJ seemed to send Romaji (or it was the opposite). SBIs answers was, that UFJ has to adapt (despite the didnt do anything at all).

You can still do a normal furikomi (but depending on your account status at UFJ fees will be applied).
Last edited by mule96 on Thu May 28, 2020 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Les

Post by Les »

Thanks so much for the replies.

Yes, it's the EDI system.

I'm going to apply for a cash card connected to my account and try ATM deposits.

I'll let you all know how it works out. :)

Thanks again!
Les

Post by Les »

Hi again,

I was able to get the SBI ATM card for depositing money into the brokerage account, and it's working great!

However!!

I received a notification that they will be ending their ATM card service as of this October :shock:
So I'm back to my original problem of how to get cash into (and possibly out of?) my SBI Securities account.
fools_gold
Veteran

Post by fools_gold »

Les wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:22 am Hi again,

I was able to get the SBI ATM card for depositing money into the brokerage account, and it's working great!

However!!

I received a notification that they will be ending their ATM card service as of this October :shock:
So I'm back to my original problem of how to get cash into (and possibly out of?) my SBI Securities account.
Have you tried opening a Sumishin SBI Net bank account? It was an option when my wife opened her SBI brokerage account, but I'm sure you can open one later.
mule96
Veteran

Post by mule96 »

Les wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:22 am Hi again,

However!!

You can always do a normal bank transfer, even from UFJ. But UFJ has high hurdles for free transfers, so that may be a costly option. Sumishin SBI is much easier (and I personally like it), but it has the disadvantage of not being that widely accepted for certain services (eg no automatic transfer for Tokyo Suidou, some governmental services will not transfer to Netbanks etc).