Interactive Brokers VS Monex

PizzaGuy

Interactive Brokers VS Monex

Post by PizzaGuy »

I've recently opened a Monex account and I've started trading.
Works well, but I can't trade Canadian stocks, I can't trade on OTC (Over The Counter) and I couldn't trade $TVIX (??)

Can I trade Canadian stocks and OTC as well as NYSE with IB ?
Can I link a NISA account to IB ? (I'm a Canadian living in Japan; I got a spouse VISA)
Kanto
Veteran

Re: Interactive Brokers VS Monex

Post by Kanto »

NISA has to be through a Japanese security company such as Rakuten.

Those who want to trade on Canadian exchanges usually set up a Canadian brokerage account linked to a Canadian bank account and transfer the money over.

Beware of tax. If you have been here for more than 5 years you must declare all global assets. You are a permanent resident for tax purposes.

If you are staying in Japan long term, and don't want to pay taxes on your Canadian investments keep everything local and trade on a Japanese platform. If not trade through your Canadian account and pay, I think 25% tax on profits?
PizzaGuy

Post by PizzaGuy »

Hello Kanto, thanks for the reply ! Really helpful.
I tried to open accounts in Canada in 2 platforms but it wasn't possible because my address of residence was in Japan.
I'll try to figure something out.

Thank you again Kanto-san.
Kanto
Veteran

Post by Kanto »

PizzaGuy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:55 pm Hello Kanto, thanks for the reply ! Really helpful.
I tried to open accounts in Canada in 2 platforms but it wasn't possible because my address of residence was in Japan.
I'll try to figure something out.

Thank you again Kanto-san.
That is pretty standard that they want a Canadian address. Where do you stay when your back home? It doesn't have to be where you live 24/7.
PizzaGuy

Post by PizzaGuy »

Well, I stay at my parent's house. But I go back once a year only, for 2 weeks. Obviously this year I'm not sure if I will go because of the Coronavirus situation.