NISA newcomer

Lauram64

NISA newcomer

Post by Lauram64 »

I'd like to ask for some advice on my NISA portfolio building. Late in the game at age 55 and planning on retiring at 60. I am just getting started on building my NISA now that the paperwork for setting things up is complete.

My thinking is to spread things over a number of investments and looking at 3 so far for my NISA.
I'd like to have a bond in the mix and am thinking about Rakuten Vanguard all country (though it is not just bonds). Would I be better to go with a straight bond? Also, is it logical to pair Rakuten Vanguard and the eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式? The latter gets great reviews on this forum and I plan to use it as my core investment. Is a REIT a logical inclusion and if so, what about my choice?

I have considered fees and future potential and the endorsements of Retire Japan readers, but have little knowledge otherwise. My current thinking is the following three, with weightings TBA:

1. eMAXIS Slim 全世界株式(オール・カントリー)

2. Rakuten Vanguard all country 楽天・バンガード・ファンド(全世界債券・為替ヘッジ)
https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/fund/ ... 90C000HBG4

3. 上場Jリート 上場インデックスファンドJリート(東証REIT指数)隔月分配型 【正式名称】(1345) https://www.jpx.co.jp/equities/products ... 1345-j.pdf

As you can see, I really don't know what I am doing, so I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Many thanks in advance.
stevendorrans

Re: NISA newcomer

Post by stevendorrans »

Have you already got an iDeCo?
Lauram64

Post by Lauram64 »

No, and I am afraid I have not looked into it.
stevendorrans

Post by stevendorrans »

You should look into iDeCo as you get tax relief on any money you put in. As you are 55 you will be able to get your money out sometime in your 60's (you need to confirm this).
Lauram64

Post by Lauram64 »

Thanks. I am checking with my workplace to see if they have some provision for doing an automatic iDeco setup as described in the Retire Japan Guide to iDeco. If they are not connected, I am going to set up my own account, and am thinking about just depositing cash into it.

Are you suggesting that I do iDeco instead of NISA? I was planning to do both. And I finally got my Rakuten Shoken account in place and am researching what to invest in. I revised the original NISA plan I wrote below as follows: eMaxis Slim all country (developed countries), Rakuten Vanguard, and a REIT - looking at 上場リート.
Thanks for your continued advice.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Some quick thoughts:
  1. It doesn't make sense to buy both the eMaxis Slim and the Rakuten all country funds. They are both doing the same thing. Might as well just pick one of them.
  2. Not sure about REITs. I've never really paid any attention to them myself, but maybe it fits your situation. Why do you want one?
  3. Have you looked into Bonds? It seems like a fundamental part of your portfolio that you're missing, especially so close to retirement. You posted this in the NISA forum, so maybe this is specifically about NISA and you already have other investments, including bonds, elsewhere.
stevendorrans

Post by stevendorrans »

Lauram64 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:15 am Thanks. I am checking with my workplace to see if they have some provision for doing an automatic iDeco setup as described in the Retire Japan Guide to iDeco. If they are not connected, I am going to set up my own account, and am thinking about just depositing cash into it.

Are you suggesting that I do iDeco instead of NISA? I was planning to do both.
As you are a company employee the amount you can invest in an iDeCo is relatively small. So you should also look into NISAs as you originally planned too.