The corona effect

deepdishj
Regular

Re: The corona effect

Post by deepdishj »

Bonds falling along with stocks is concerning.
I think that the drop in gold is just selling to cover losses. I'd expect gold to jump back in a big way once that's done.
StockBeard
Veteran

Post by StockBeard »

eyeswideshut wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:51 pm Both my bond funds are also down 2-3% IN ONE SESSION
Holy crap you're right. I had to log in to my account today to get my tax forms... I "lost" 2 years of salary overnight, and the bonds didn't help (bonds -5% overnight).

I do have a penny stock that did +38% overnight though! Too bad it's down so much since I purchased it 5 years ago (-99.99%), that it still shows up as 0 dollars on my account :lol: <-- don't worry for my sanity, I only purchased $100 of it at the time.
caybar
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by caybar »

Just wondering for future reference, is anything performing well? Anything you wished you had bought before corona that you could sell off now.
deepdishj
Regular

Post by deepdishj »

Wow. Japanese major banks stock prices hitting 10 year lows. Hovering around 7% yields.
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

With prices in free fall, I am confused on which index to buy.... :lol:
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

caybar wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:05 am Just wondering for future reference, is anything performing well? Anything you wished you had bought before corona that you could sell off now.
Why would you sell now? It's not a profit or loss till it's realized.

The best thing you could do is to buy.
The second best thing is to do nothing.
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

OkLah! wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:49 am I think we are in the phase where priority is to get cash.

Those not invested are waiting and those invested are selling everything no matter what they have in portfolio.

Remember that despite rally in 2019 funds actually had huge outflows so lots of cash around.

I now think the only thing that will slow down the sell off is a vaccine since the headlines remain on number of cases that once again can only increase by definition.
This depends on which phase of investing you are in...If you are not retiring anytime soon, you wouldn't be looking to get out of the market...

In my situation, I want to use the cash (if I had more LOL) to invest...
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

caybar wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:05 am Just wondering for future reference, is anything performing well? Anything you wished you had bought before corona that you could sell off now.
Easy-peazy: SDS, SDXU

;)
StockBeard
Veteran

Post by StockBeard »

OkLah! wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:29 am So should we only invest in US indexes??
It does feel like the correlation between markets across the world has been increasing. I'm sure some serious studies out there prove, or disprove, this.

Edit: then again, the virus being global in nature, it seems normal that all markets are crashing right now. It's not like if one country went e.g. into a civil war that would only impact it and its main economic partners, for example.
seb
Regular

Post by seb »

for Caybar: Gold prices are mostly flat. There were 2 "sales event" that had <5% drops but mostly recovered the next few days. From what I read, the sales events were from banks that needed to refill cash reserve.