Gold credit card for school/university employees

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
tokyodave

Gold credit card for school/university employees

Post by tokyodave »

I don't think this has been posted here before, but private school and university employees paying into "shigaku kyosai" are eligible to apply for a gold credit card with Resona with no yearly fees:

https://www.resonacard.co.jp/shigakucar ... index.html

The main benefit as far as I can see is that it gives free airport lounge access (within Japan including Narita / Haneda) and travel insurance. Also some discounts on domestic travel companies.

Points aren't that great, but if you want a gold credit card, there seems to be no harm in applying.

There also seems to be one for public school and university employees (enrolled in kouritsu kyosai), offering similar benefits -

https://www.kourituyasuragi.jp/memberscard/
regular
Regular

Re: Gold credit card for school/university employees

Post by regular »

Yes, these are good cards for University employees in Japan. I have both the cards, but all their benefits are also written in very small Japanese font. So I really do not know what the travel insurance actually covers. Anyone has English info on similar gold cards issued in Japan?
regular
Regular

Post by regular »

Received a letter stating that Resona bank will initiate a 3300 yen annual membership fee for all three brand of Shigaku gold cards from April 2021, unless one spends 30 man in prior year. Time to look for other gold cards cost benefit analysis.
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

When did you get that letter? I have yet to receive it. Then again, I've never actually used the lounges that the card lets me access ... so no real problem with chopping it.
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

I just got the letter about the upcoming change. I figure I'll just cancel the card as I've yet to actually use the lounges, and never use the card in general.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

This post caught my eye, and it seems there is a fee for the Resona card.

私学メンバーズカードの三大特典
特典1

年会費初年度無料
ゴールドカードと同等機能で年会費が初年度無料!多彩なサービスが利用できます。
年間30万円(税込)ご利用で翌年度以降も無料でご利用できます。
詳細は下記専用サイトをご覧ください。

(注釈)
2年目以降の年会費は3,300円(税込)になります。

My non-fee DC Gold Mastercard card is through the shigaku kyosai, but I can't see any info online in Japanese about it. I wonder if I am grandfathered in...

They cancelled it once when I didn't use if for two years, but I got it reissued. Usually hit at least 2 lounges a year (no booze or food though).

Fee is supposed to be ¥11,000/yr.

https://www.cr.mufg.jp/apply/card/dc_gold/