Why are Motorcycle Licenses so Expensive in Japan?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
oki-j

Why are Motorcycle Licenses so Expensive in Japan?

Post by oki-j »

Dear Forum,

I'm looking to get an 大型 (Large) motorcycle license this year.

PROBLEM: The prices for driving schools are -- enthusiastic -- to say the least.

QUESTION: Has anyone been there and if so, is there a better more economical way to the grail?

As always, cheers to Ben T for an excellent forum.

Cheers,

Oki-J
“Tell me who your heroes are and I’ll tell you who you’ll turn out to be...The best thing I did was to choose the right heroes.” - Warren Buffet
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Why are Motorcycle Licenses so Expensive in Japan?

Post by RetireJapan »

I got my regular motorbike license through a driving school here, and then my large motorbike license through the same school.

As long as you have a car license you don't need to do the theory courses and can just do the driving practice ones.

I think it cost about 100,000 yen each time, but this was a while ago so I may be mistaken or prices may have risen in the meantime.

There is another option: you can go straight to the license center, pay a small fee, and take the test there. If you pass you get your license. Apparently they are very strict though, and you need to memorise the course, etc.

In the end I am glad I went through the school. The instructors were pretty good, and I hadn't ridden before so it was good to actually learn and practice all the skills before going out on the road.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

I got my chuugata license last year for approximately 100,000 yen.

I already had a car license so didn't need to do the theory bit..

Hope this helps.
ChrisFukuoka

Post by ChrisFukuoka »

I went the same route as the other guys. Cost me about 80000 yen back in the day for the chugata license.

I was thinking of just going to the test center to try to get the oogata license but I have heard you should expect to fail a few times before passing it. It still might be cheaper in the long run as long as you pass within 15 or so tests lol.
oki-j

Post by oki-j »

Thanks for the responses.

So..I need to get the 中型 (medium size) license before going for the large license?

Got it:)
“Tell me who your heroes are and I’ll tell you who you’ll turn out to be...The best thing I did was to choose the right heroes.” - Warren Buffet
Roger101
Regular

Post by Roger101 »

I am no spring chicken but my motorbike license (back home) cost 400 yen!
and when I came here I got chugata license! (transferred over, no test)
:roll:
AustinJapan
Regular

Post by AustinJapan »

I got my 中型 (up to 400cc) at a school but I got my 大型 and the public testing center. I got the 大型 at at my third attempt. It was about 15 years ago. It cost about 9,000- 12,000 yen all told, compared to slightly more than 100,000 for the 中型. I had to pay to rent their bikes each time . I figured I would try five times before giving up.

My Japanese was so bad that the testing inspector was shouting through his megaphone for me to stop and get off the first time, and I kept riding!

Unlike the friendly teachers at the commercial school, these guys at the public testing center were cranky and not interested in being nice.
They said my posture was too rigid, I think I messed up on the slow run and the twisties also. I just scraped through on the third run. Others told me they have been ten times.