Substitute Investing (代用有価証券) What did I get myself into?

crew
Regular

Substitute Investing (代用有価証券) What did I get myself into?

Post by crew »

Somehow my portfolio has some funds(stocks) under "代用有価証券" which probably translates to substitute securities. I have not idea what those are, nor do I remember buying any substitute securities. Can anyone shed some light on this?
tbsmj

Re: Substitute Investing (代用有価証券) What did I get myself into?

Post by tbsmj »

crew wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:30 am Somehow my portfolio has some funds(stocks) under "代用有価証券" which probably translates to substitute securities. I have not idea what those are, nor do I remember buying any substitute securities. Can anyone shed some light on this?
That seems to refer to securities posted as collateral for trading on margin (and hence, potentially subject to margin calls).
Margin trading is called 信用取引 in Japanese. You probably clicked a button like that in some recent transaction?
crew
Regular

Post by crew »

That may be the culrpit but there seems to be no button to remove the margin trade or something. Yikes!
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Sounds like sitting down with someone that knows what they're doing and showing them your account would be a good idea. You don't want to make an expensive mistake.
Rezz
Regular

Post by Rezz »

Can you not sell the stocks in question? I accidentally invested half my nisa allowance into my regular investment account (forgot to check the "NISA" button) without realising. I sold them at a slight loss, then rebought them again but made sure to allocate them to my NISA the second time!