Japan is not the only place with cheap country houses

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
captainspoke
Sensei

Japan is not the only place with cheap country houses

Post by captainspoke »

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

I think we're too old and settled in to move and start a biz, but that might be another idea/place for some FIRE-ites.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Japan is not the only place with cheap country houses

Post by RetireJapan »

Wow. Someday, someday :)
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Leafs_Raps

Post by Leafs_Raps »

captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

Too bad... :roll:
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

I know Spain is similar to Japan in that it will pay people to move to villages and become farmers.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
ricardo
Veteran

Post by ricardo »

If you’re British and want to go it’d be better to go now rather than after Brexit, which may make freedom of movement around the EU more - ahem - restrictive.

I wonder what’d happen if you arrived in, say, Spain on 31 October (before Brexit) but try to buy a property on 1 November (after Brexit)... (Apart from putting a GB sticker on your car if you drove there....)

Disclaimer: I give no political opinion here. I support a ban on giving political opinions on this site - there are plenty of other places for that.. But.. the UK is leaving the EU on 31 October and most people seem to be totally unprepared for this fact. Boris Johnson is not Theresa May..
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

ricardo wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:44 am If you’re British and want to go it’d be better to go now rather than after Brexit, which may make freedom of movement around the EU more - ahem - restrictive.

I wonder what’d happen if you arrived in, say, Spain on 31 October (before Brexit) but try to buy a property on 1 November (after Brexit)... (Apart from putting a GB sticker on your car if you drove there....)

Disclaimer: I give no political opinion here. I support a ban on giving political opinions on this site - there are plenty of other places for that.. But.. the UK is leaving the EU on 31 October and most people seem to be totally unprepared for this fact. Boris Johnson is not Theresa May..
I and my Japanese wife had this dilemma a couple of years back. We wanted to live more rurally (were in Edinburgh for 15 years or so), but didn’t have a reliable way to make a living in rural Scotland. So we were considering Japan or Italy, but felt there was just too much uncertainty over the rights of Brits in EU countries to take the leap and move to Italy. I imagine there are a lot of Brits living in the EU, and vice versa, who are pretty unsettled by the whole thing.