How to get a Credit Card

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
adamu
Sensei

Re: How to get a Credit Card

Post by adamu »

N00bster wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:50 am
Self wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:37 am
N00bster wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:47 am Do you want a "credit" card or just a device to use online and in shops? If the latter, then you can also consider Rakuten Bank visa debit cards.
Thanks. Does this mean I have to open a new bank account? It's a "Visa" debit card, but not credit card? So, it gives a normal-length credit card type number that companies will accept as a credit card number?
Yes, yes, and yes. You will have to open a Rakuten Bank account. It's very easy and 100% online. Then you just request your VISA debit card.
Just to point out if going down this path, most banks offer a debit card option, so you may be able to get one from your existing bank, there is no requirement to go with Rakuten. For example, I also have SBI and Japan Net Bank debit cards. And then there are pre-paid cards too, such as Line Pay Card, which you charge from your bank account, but it's not backed directly by your bank account.
Self wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:37 am Basically I just want to pay my Japanese phone bill in Japan instead of using a foreign credit card.
Even better, you can probably ask them to set up a furikae, to take it directly from your bank account every month, no need for a card at all.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Self wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:40 am Do you know if it's possible to get a credit report in Japan?
https://www.retirejapan.com/blog/credit ... apan-jicc/
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Self

Post by Self »

adamu wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:16 am
Self wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:37 am

Thanks. Does this mean I have to open a new bank account? It's a "Visa" debit card, but not credit card? So, it gives a normal-length credit card type number that companies will accept as a credit card number?
Yes, yes, and yes. You will have to open a Rakuten Bank account. It's very easy and 100% online. Then you just request your VISA debit card.
Just to point out if going down this path, most banks offer a debit card option, so you may be able to get one from your existing bank, there is no requirement to go with Rakuten. For example, I also have SBI and Japan Net Bank debit cards. And then there are pre-paid cards too, such as Line Pay Card, which you charge from your bank account, but it's not backed directly by your bank account.
Self wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:37 am Basically I just want to pay my Japanese phone bill in Japan instead of using a foreign credit card.
Even better, you can probably ask them to set up a furikae, to take it directly from your bank account every month, no need for a card at all.
Thanks Noobster and Adamu.

The phone company I deal with, DMM, only uses credit cards for payments. They list Visa, Mastercard, JCB, American Express, and Diners Club. I guess with that Rakuten card though, as long as the number is the same length as a normal Visa credit card and it has a normal expiry date and security code, maybe it will be OK.

I'm pretty naive about this stuff, but are the debit cards that regular banks give out are somehow connected to VISA? (or other credit card companies)?
Self

Post by Self »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:34 am
Self wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:40 am Do you know if it's possible to get a credit report in Japan?
https://www.retirejapan.com/blog/credit ... apan-jicc/
Thanks!
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

Self wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:48 pm
adamu wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:16 am
Thanks Noobster and Adamu.

The phone company I deal with, DMM, only uses credit cards for payments. They list Visa, Mastercard, JCB, American Express, and Diners Club. I guess with that Rakuten card though, as long as the number is the same length as a normal Visa credit card and it has a normal expiry date and security code, maybe it will be OK.

I'm pretty naive about this stuff, but are the debit cards that regular banks give out are somehow connected to VISA? (or other credit card companies)?
Banks will typically offer several options: visa, mastercard, or jcb. You just pick the one you want and voila.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last question. These debit cards are connected to visa on the sense that they are full-fledged visa cards. Or do you mean something else?
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

Visa and Mastercard operate payment networks (Visanet and Banknet respectively). The logo on your card will tell you what system it uses. Whether your card is a credit card or debit card, if a merchant takes a Visa credit card they will generally take a Visa debit card (there are some exceptions in the US where a merchant may take a debit card but not a credit card because the exchange fees are slightly higher for credit than debit cards). The following links may help:
https://www.cardfellow.com/blog/how-cre ... ing-works/
https://www.cardfellow.com/blog/credit- ... sing-fees/
Les

Post by Les »

Hi all,

Thanks so much Retire Japan for a place to get advice. I have many financial questions but this one is at the forefront. :)

I'm very new here and have just started reading through some posts. Sorry if this has been covered before.

I have tried several times to get a credit card. I've never had one in my life and haven't wanted to use one. I have always used a debit/visa (from Australia), or my Shinsei Gaica card for travel and online purchases.
All I want to do is to be able to use ETC on the highways here.You need a credit card to do that, unless you're US Military, a prepaid card is available. I've been here for 20 years. I have permanent residency. I can't seem to find a way. The Gaica card is not acceptable. I've tried MUFG, Shinsei, Saison, Costco and so on...... Never any reason as to why I've been rejected. I have savings, a regular salary and no debt at all.

Does anyone have any tips or advice?

Cheers :)
TelecInvestor
Regular

Post by TelecInvestor »

Les wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:55 pm Hi all,

Thanks so much Retire Japan for a place to get advice. I have many financial questions but this one is at the forefront. :)

I'm very new here and have just started reading through some posts. Sorry if this has been covered before.

I have tried several times to get a credit card. I've never had one in my life and haven't wanted to use one. I have always used a debit/visa (from Australia), or my Shinsei Gaica card for travel and online purchases.
All I want to do is to be able to use ETC on the highways here.You need a credit card to do that, unless you're US Military, a prepaid card is available. I've been here for 20 years. I have permanent residency. I can't seem to find a way. The Gaica card is not acceptable. I've tried MUFG, Shinsei, Saison, Costco and so on...... Never any reason as to why I've been rejected. I have savings, a regular salary and no debt at all.

Does anyone have any tips or advice?

Cheers :)
I always heard to leave at least 6 months before reapplying again, otherwise they will (almost) automatically reject you for the next one, and at this point I'm finding this to be true.

Also, if you've been this long, I think it is worth going through the JICC application (few posts above) to see if you see anything strange and then wait 6 months until the next application.