Q: obtaining UK passport for child born in Japan (UK/Japanese parents)

Deep Blue
Veteran

Re: Q: obtaining UK passport for child born in Japan (UK/Japanese parents)

Post by Deep Blue »

Silversurfer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:56 amWhy don’t you just contact the United Kingdom Embassy directly instead of asking a bunch of strangers on the Internet? Seems more direct, no? Go there in person.
They do not deal with passport applications and will not give advice.

This has been the case for many years.
CluelessToshika
Regular

Post by CluelessToshika »

Silversurfer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:56 am
Why don’t you just contact the United Kingdom Embassy directly instead of asking a bunch of strangers on the Internet? Seems more direct, no? Go there in person.

Because the United Kingdom Embassy has sod all to do with issuing passports, and often the internet has information from strangers who can share recent practical advice.
Spa06Jc
Regular

Post by Spa06Jc »

Just wondered if there were any updates on applications from the above?

My daughter was born in May, and I've been scrambling around trying to pull together all documents to have her passport issued practically since then. It's taken quite a while as I had to have my parents send me their birth and marriage certificates from the UK (and spent some time convincing my mum it would be safe to send the real documents via post). I then struggled with the Shuseitodoke birth certificate as the only version the ward office would give me was practically illegible - when I explained I needed a readable copy in order to have it translated, they simply said that poor-quality version was all they had. As a result, I've had to scrabble around to find an unfilled in copy to provide translators with a clear version of what I think the official document says.

We also held off competing the Japanese passport application so that I don't have to photocopy 32 pages of another passport.

I've finally got all that together, and have just had a friend confirm the identity of my daughter so am ready to pull everything together and send. the next issue is that we will visit my in-laws for a month next month, and then be back in the UK for two months soon after that, so I am trying to work out when the best time to send everything back is in order to make sure I am at home to receive it after the supposed four weeks.

I'm an EU dual national, and I can confirm the process for my other nationality is a lot more straight forward. They haven't been anywhere near as demanding about birth certificates (Koseki was sufficient) or maternal grandparents' birth and marriage documents (I still can't understand why the UK needs this information given the irrelevance of my wife's nationality). I can't help but wonder if the process is intentionally tedious in order to dissuade people from applying...
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

The UK doesn't need your wife's parents information if she is Japanese. Your child qualifies for British citizenship through you, not her. I didn't send any of my wife's documents etc when I registered any of our children.

One tip - do make sure you retain all the documents. After the initial application, I've renewed two of my kids twice and one once - so five renewals... four of them went through fine but one they asked for a extra documents that they already had from the initial registration/application. Of course, there was absolutely no way to call and explain this so the path of least resistance was to comply.

It was really odd as I literally applied for two childrens renewals together (sent in the same envelope) and they requested all this extra info for one but not the other.... despite having exactly the same circumstances.
We need you to confirm you have parental responsibility for XXX YYY before we can continue and print their passport.

For further information about parental responsibility: https://www.gov.uk/parental-rights-resp ... onsibility

What you need to do
To confirm you have parental responsibility, send the following document:

XXX YYY’s full birth certificate if it lists your name (in Scotland, you can only do this if you registered their birth on or after 4 May 2006)
If you don’t have an original birth, adoption or marriage certificate, order an official copy at: https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-dea ... ertificate

You must send an original or official copy of a document – we can’t accept a photocopy.
Spa06Jc
Regular

Post by Spa06Jc »

Just a frustrating update on my application for my daughter. The documents arrived last week, but I received an email yesterday accusing the birth certificate of being a photocopy and a message to say they require the original.

The Shuseitodoke which I obtained from the ward office on official paper with the city stamp includes a photocopied image of the Shuseitodoke paper that we filled in and submitted to the ward office (for them to certify and complete). I confirmed with the ward office that it is the official document retained and issued by them and it is all they are able to issue.

In addition to the above, I also sent our Koseki (which lists the birth dates, parents names etc), and a Jurishomeisho, both with certified translations.

I managed to speak to an agent on the HM Passport web chat who said they would raise my points with the issuing authority yesterday, but today I have received another email saying I need to send a full birth certificate that lists names of parents (this would mean the jurishomeisho would suffice). I've again spoken to an agent on web chat but am now not hopeful it will be resolved. Does anyone have any experience of this, and of getting it resolved? Or at the very least, does anyone know of a phone number to speak to someone actually responsible for reviewing the documents who I can make a case to?
Tkydon
Sensei

Post by Tkydon »

You should inform them that the Shusso Todoke Kisai Jiro Shoumeisho only becomes official after the Municipal Office (Registry) has received the original from the hospital, input it into the system, and then provided an Official Copy with the Certification of the Mayor of the Municipality, and that the original uncertified document is no longer available from the Municipal Office.

Refer them to the Shusso Todoke Juri Shoumeisho, which if the equivalent of a UK Birth Certificate.

It contains exactly the same information as is contained in a UK Birth Certificate;

Shusso Todoke Juri Shoumeisho
Certificate of Acceptance of Birth Registration
Registration Date:
Subject of Report (Child):
Registered Address:
Head of Family:
Name:
Relationship to Parents: First, Second, Third, etc... Son, Daughter
Date of Birth:
Place of Birth:
Parents' Names:
Father:
Mother:
Other Details:

Reporting Person:
Registered Address:
Head of Family:
Name:

We certify that the above notification was accepted on <date>
Date (of Issue of Certificate):
Mayor of <Ward, City, Town or Villiage>, <Mayor's Name>, <Official Mayoral Stamp>
Certificate No.:

The Passport Office recently issued updated guidelines to its Agents to try to reduce cases like this, but it comes down to the individual agent...

Point the gent to this document.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... se-profile

"Birth certificates
All births in Japan must be registered within 14 days. The birth must be registered at the Local Ward Office or City Hall in the area where the parents are resident, and the child will be added to the Koseki (family register) if one parent is Japanese. If neither parent is Japanese, the birth may be registered at the embassy of the country the parents are from.
The Japanese Government do not issue birth certificates. There are 2 types of certificates acceptable for UK passport purposes:
Family registration form – this is each city or ward office’s record of their citizens – acceptable for HM Passport Office nationality and parental responsibility purposes, it will show:
child’s name
child’s date of birth
parent(s)’ name(s)
parent(s)’ date(s) of birth
parent(s)’ place(s) of birth
Birth registration form – parents use this form to register a child’s birth in their city or ward office - acceptable for HM Passport Office parental responsibility purposes it will show:
child’s name
child’s date of birth
child’s place of birth
parent(s)’ name(s)
parent(s)’ date(s) of birth"
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
Tkydon
Sensei

Post by Tkydon »

I would also suggest you register your child for the UK Consular Birth Certificate.

Whilst it cannot be used for a Passport Application, it will serve as life-long proof of your child's British Citizenship.

https://www.gov.uk/register-birth-abroad
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Tkydon wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 1:31 pm I would also suggest you register your child for the UK Consular Birth Certificate.

Whilst it cannot be used for a Passport Application, it will serve as life-long proof of your child's British Citizenship.

https://www.gov.uk/register-birth-abroad
I did this for the first child then didn't bother for any of the subsequent ones. It is expensive, and ultimately has been pointless so far - never used it at all for the one child who is registered. Their passports are just as good for showing they are British citizens.... YMMV
Spa06Jc
Regular

Post by Spa06Jc »

An update on my post yesterday. I had just spoken to an agent on the online chat for the second time before I posted, and I explained (perhaps not quite as eloquently) much of what Tkydon suggested in his response. Despite it being much the same as what I had mentioned the previous day, this agent also said he would pass it on to the assessment team. While I wasn’t hopeful, I received an email two hours later saying my application for my daughter has been approved.

I’m pleased with the outcome and the quick turnaround this time, but the initial confusion and denial when I first tried to get the issue resolved worries me that a lot of these decisions are highly arbitrary and you are left at the mercy of the whim of an individual for such important things…
Tkydon
Sensei

Post by Tkydon »

Spa06Jc wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:04 am An update on my post yesterday. I had just spoken to an agent on the online chat for the second time before I posted, and I explained (perhaps not quite as eloquently) much of what Tkydon suggested in his response. Despite it being much the same as what I had mentioned the previous day, this agent also said he would pass it on to the assessment team. While I wasn’t hopeful, I received an email two hours later saying my application for my daughter has been approved.

I’m pleased with the outcome and the quick turnaround this time, but the initial confusion and denial when I first tried to get the issue resolved worries me that a lot of these decisions are highly arbitrary and you are left at the mercy of the whim of an individual for such important things…
Yes, it's ridiculous.

Especially as the local Municipal Office does not keep copies of the Shussho Todoke Kisai Jiro Shoumeisho, and so it becomes very difficult, or almost impossible to obtain after about one year after the birth.

Many people just send the Koseki Tohon and Shussho Todoke Juri Shoumeisho, and get away with it.
:
: