Yen keeps going from strength to strength!

ChapInTokyo
Veteran

Re: Yen keeps going from strength to strength!

Post by ChapInTokyo »

TokyoWart wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:39 am If you think about the yen-dollar exchange rate over the last 35 years or in relation to purchasing power parity, the yen is till incredibly weak.
When I started investing, the yen was about 80 yen to the dollar. So with the yen currently at around 142 yen to the dollar, there's definitely a lot of potential strengthening. 8-)
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

ChapInTokyo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:49 am
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:12 am
RetireJapan wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:06 am

Adding extra Japanese equity or emerging markets to a world index is not increasing diversification, it is adding concentration to those areas ;)
Indeed, Emaxis Slim All Country represents EM and Japanese equities at the market rate. The REIT exposure is up for debate though.

Also, I do not think anyone is looking at 1 month periods with these kinds of investments. The recommended minimum target period for a global equity approach is a decade at least.
Personally I am over weighting Japanese equities as well as world small cap value companies in my portfolio. These will not move in lock step with the companies included in the AWCI index.

As for the 1 month period of the google finance chart, I could not get a 10 year chart because of the inception date of the ETFs, but here is a 5 year chart. I think that you can see that correlation is not high among these asset classes.

Here is the 10 year, with dividend reinvestment. (Google finance does not do this).
re.png
ChapInTokyo
Veteran

Post by ChapInTokyo »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:08 am
ChapInTokyo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:49 am
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:12 am

Indeed, Emaxis Slim All Country represents EM and Japanese equities at the market rate. The REIT exposure is up for debate though.

Also, I do not think anyone is looking at 1 month periods with these kinds of investments. The recommended minimum target period for a global equity approach is a decade at least.
Personally I am over weighting Japanese equities as well as world small cap value companies in my portfolio. These will not move in lock step with the companies included in the AWCI index.

As for the 1 month period of the google finance chart, I could not get a 10 year chart because of the inception date of the ETFs, but here is a 5 year chart. I think that you can see that correlation is not high among these asset classes.

Here is the 10 year, with dividend reinvestment. (Google finance does not do this).

re.png
Ah, that's pretty nifty! Is the free version of Tradingview worth signing up to?
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

ChapInTokyo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:38 am Ah, that's pretty nifty! Is the free version of Tradingview worth signing up to?
It's was an instant sign-in with my burner Google account.

Google finance is only good for quick check, not any sort of detailed analysis.