PR Application - Experience

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Aramusha

PR Application - Experience

Post by Aramusha »

Hello forum,

I just wanted to quickly share my experience with applying for the PR visa and my visit to the Immigration Office in Shinagawa today.

Quick info regarding myself: +10 years in Japan, married to a Japanese, until now only on work visa (always applied for 3 years, always granted).

Getting the necessary documents was fairly easy, also thanks to using the "MyNumber" card to get most of the tax related documents (at the konbini or online). The only issue I had (well, my bad) was that I went to the wrong Tax office in my ward to get the certificate about any outstanding tax payments. Apparently, Shinjuku-ku in Tokyo has two. Still, not a big deal. In total, I probably spent around 2 weeks getting everything together.

Today I went and handed in my application. Last year I had to renew my work visa and since then they changed the screening procedure of the application documents. Within 35min I was done - first shock of the day! Second came when the lady told me how long I´d have to wait: up to 1 year... May 14th 2025! Their homepage said up to 4 months, so - maybe something in between is realistic.

Bottom line: The whole process was less complicated as I´d have it expected to be.

Best,
Michael
William
Regular

Re: PR Application - Experience

Post by William »

Thanks for sharing.

I myself should apply in the coming months — I still need to wait a tiny bit before having the right to apply. I've been in Japan for 10+ years too, but the first year didn't count (Working/Holiday Visa).

I'll go through a lawyer. Let's say that constant trips to the immigration office and the stress of wondering if I have all the necessary documents made going with a lawyer an easier decision. I can afford it now, and let's say it's a gift to myself. They've already been super efficient in getting me a Specialized visa valid for 5 years.

I'm shocked by this one-year wait before getting the result though. I wonder if going through a lawyer has any implications/influences on the way they process our applications.
Aramusha

Post by Aramusha »

To be honest, in my case the requirements of which documents have to be handed in were very clear and easy to follow.
Yes, my wife had to go to the ward office to get her Koseki Tohon and I myself to the Tax office, but that´s it.
Based on my experience, I would not recommend using a lawyer. That being said: other people, other requirements - so whatever suits the individual is the best way to go forward.
As long as we don´t have to wait for a whole year :D
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Aramusha wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:23 amBottom line: The whole process was less complicated as I´d have it expected to be.
Submitting the application is just the beginning 😁

Give us an update once the residence card is in your hands.

Hopefully the next communication is the postcard to pay the fee, rather than a request for more documents.

P.S. I was looking up a Youth Mobility Scheme visa to the UK for a friend, and it costs over 60,000 yen just for the application even if it's refused, and 300,000 yen for a healthcare surcharge for two years. Compare that to the 8000 yen for PR for Japan :shock:
david
Regular

Post by david »

I think 1 year plus might not be unlikely, I put mine in in February and was told 1 year. A friend has been waiting 14 months, another got theirs in January after having applied just before christmas 2022 crazy though it may seem.
douglasxwilliams
Regular

Post by douglasxwilliams »

I applied last September, so about 8 months ago. At the time i was also told (by the immigration lawyer i am working with) that it is normally about 9 to 12 months before the immigration authority returns with a "verdict". Hopefully, i will hear before the end of the year.
Aramusha

Post by Aramusha »

adamu wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:31 am
Aramusha wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:23 amBottom line: The whole process was less complicated as I´d have it expected to be.
Submitting the application is just the beginning 😁

Give us an update once the residence card is in your hands.

Hopefully the next communication is the postcard to pay the fee, rather than a request for more documents.

P.S. I was looking up a Youth Mobility Scheme visa to the UK for a friend, and it costs over 60,000 yen just for the application even if it's refused, and 300,000 yen for a healthcare surcharge for two years. Compare that to the 8000 yen for PR for Japan :shock:
I´ll keep you posted ;)
Btw: What other documents could they request?
This time, I didn´t have to fill in the postcard, only a tiny piece of paper with my address on - nothing more. The past years it was always that usual postcard...
LikeBike
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by LikeBike »

Just adding another data point. I applied in Tokyo at beginning of December 2023 and as of Aug 2024 I am still waiting. They didn’t give me a specific time frame. I did it on my own. It was a bit of a pain to gather the documents. But just because I don’t really like doing administrative stuff. In hindsight it wasn’t really difficult. I am currently in a 5 year HSP visa and had my 80 points. So applied after a year and a half. (Could have applied earlier but it took me time to get up to speed to collect the documents)
Submitting them at Shinagawa was actually easy. I was surprised that I didn’t need to wait for a long time. Getting my driving license changed was a half day wait (but then you get it on the spot). Handing in the documents for PR including the wait was less than 30 min.

Now waiting. I hope to still get it this year as I want to buy a house and credit conditions as a PR are simply better.

Wishing us all luck.
smalldog
Regular

Post by smalldog »

What are people’s thoughts on NOT getting PR due to the downsides? As far as I can figure out there are two: exposure to exit tax and ability to sponsor overseas staff when on certain visas (eg domestic helpers).

I have a mortgage and finance here with current status, and whilst I’d like the “guarantee” of being able to live in the same country as my kids should the worst happen, I still feel my visa renewal process every 5 years is no where near as painful as a possible exit tax if we leave.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

smalldog wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:42 am What are people’s thoughts on NOT getting PR due to the downsides? As far as I can figure out there are two: exposure to exit tax and ability to sponsor overseas staff when on certain visas (eg domestic helpers).

I have a mortgage and finance here with current status, and whilst I’d like the “guarantee” of being able to live in the same country as my kids should the worst happen, I still feel my visa renewal process every 5 years is no where near as painful as a possible exit tax if we leave.
Won't be affected by exit tax as most of our assets are in Japan and we'd have to sell them anyway if we left.

Essential to have PR or citizenship if you plan to retire in Japan, as you will no longer be eligible for most visas at some point.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)