Recent recommendations for home insurance 火災保険?

Adamakin86
Regular

Recent recommendations for home insurance 火災保険?

Post by Adamakin86 »

Hi all. I am a long time renter (subsidized housing) and I have never had any sort of home insurance. Extremely silly on my behalf, I know.

I figure that now I am a full grown somewhat responsible adult, I should get some sort of coverage. I’d like to get coverage for my personal possessions as the house itself has coverage. I’d like to include natural disaster excluding earthquake (probably unnecessary due to where I live), accidental damage, theft, loss, etc…

Does anyone have any recommendations for companies that they use? Or any other advice about experiences you had with insurance companies. Thank you.
Telebroker
Regular

Re: Recent recommendations for home insurance 火災保険?

Post by Telebroker »

Hi Adamakin86,
I am in the same camp and use Nisshinfire which I happily found through kakaku.com:
https://direct.nisshinfire.co.jp/oheya/

The whole process is only and suprisingly smooth for Japan!
Never had a claim so far though, so not fire-tested, just UI tested ;-)
Hope that helps.
Passive ETF investor and Berkshire shareholder on the way to FI; banking tester in JP and Doitsu.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Adamakin86 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:08 am I have never had any sort of home insurance. Extremely silly on my behalf, I know.
Very sensible I would say! Getting into a position where you can happily live without all the various insurances peddled to us by insurance companies should be an objective for anyone trying to maximise their financial wealth. By forgoing these, and investing the premiums over a long period you can build substantial wealth and effectively self-insure rather than keep paying premiums till you die....
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

Deep Blue wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:04 pm
Adamakin86 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:08 am I have never had any sort of home insurance. Extremely silly on my behalf, I know.
Very sensible I would say! Getting into a position where you can happily live without all the various insurances peddled to us by insurance companies should be an objective for anyone trying to maximise their financial wealth. By forgoing these, and investing the premiums over a long period you can build substantial wealth and effectively self-insure rather than keep paying premiums till you die....
This has merit to my mind. When I rented in the UK I never had contents insurance as I didn't have stuff that was (financially speaking) irreplaceable. Like any insurance, it only makes sense if the worst happening would put you in serious financial bother. I do, for example, have insurance for the house we own.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

The value of our house, sure. The value of my car, sure (I don't buy coverage for damage to my own car--"collision").

But I would absolutely not want to be self-insuring for personal liability.