Advice on maxing out NISA

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
beanhead
Sensei

Re: Advice on maxing out NISA

Post by beanhead »

Max wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:58 am Of course, I'm not saying iDeCo is bad, just that it's a shame the contribution limits aren't very high, even if you have self-employed status.
A few years ago the government was thinking about revising NISA and asked the major brokers to reach out to their customers. We all got sent a survey, asking for our opinions on some proposed changes.
A few months later, changes were enacted, which included the increased limits and end of the time limits for the tax-free period for NISA. These improvements were what many had been suggesting/requesting.

So it is not completely unheard of for us lowly consumers to be consulted. And positive changes may come to iDeCo too. But don't hold your breath.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Max
Regular

Post by Max »

Let's hope so. If the current 144k per year hadn't been raised I probably wouldn't bother with iDeCo. The tax reduction would be minimal, barely worth the palaver involved it setting it up, to my mind.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

beanhead wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:19 am
Max wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:58 am Of course, I'm not saying iDeCo is bad, just that it's a shame the contribution limits aren't very high, even if you have self-employed status.
A few years ago the government was thinking about revising NISA and asked the major brokers to reach out to their customers. We all got sent a survey, asking for our opinions on some proposed changes.
A few months later, changes were enacted, which included the increased limits and end of the time limits for the tax-free period for NISA. These improvements were what many had been suggesting/requesting.

So it is not completely unheard of for us lowly consumers to be consulted. And positive changes may come to iDeCo too. But don't hold your breath.
The ideoco allowance does seem rather modest, especially on an international comparison. In the UK, for example you can put away 60,000 pounds annually in pension investments. Although there are a few other pension allowances that you can use in Japan, which could increase your pension provision and give you a lower taxable income.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Max wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 11:48 pmThe tax reduction would be minimal, barely worth the palaver involved it setting it up, to my mind.
55.945% at the most, so if you pay ¥68k/mo, up to about ¥456k/year.
trajan
Regular

Post by trajan »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:22 pm I don't bother and just buy one world stock fund and one bond fund, but depending on your goals and level of interest you may want to explore this.
Which bond fund do you invest in? How does it perform compared to the eMaxis?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

trajan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:18 pm
RetireJapan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:22 pm I don't bother and just buy one world stock fund and one bond fund, but depending on your goals and level of interest you may want to explore this.
Just the eMaxis Slim Developed Country Bond fund 😃
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
trajan
Regular

Post by trajan »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:21 pm
trajan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:18 pm
Just the eMaxis Slim Developed Country Bond fund 😃
Thanks. Consider you "thumbed up".

What's the rationale for this single diversification? Returns? Safety? Stability?
trajan
Regular

Post by trajan »

Found this. So, none of that unless I understand nothing, which happens more often than I'd like.

https://emaxis.am.mufg.jp/fund/252648.html

Clipboard01.png
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

trajan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:26 pm Thanks. Consider you "thumbed up".

What's the rationale for this single diversification? Returns? Safety? Stability?
Laziness mainly 😅

I think my main approach going forward is going to be mostly global stocks with a big cash position to balance it out.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
trajan
Regular

Post by trajan »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:53 pm
trajan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:26 pm Thanks. Consider you "thumbed up".

Laziness mainly 😅

I think my main approach going forward is going to be mostly global stocks with a big cash position to balance it out.
Forgive my ignorance but, what do you mean by "a big cash position"?