UK voluntary NICs possible for a Japanese spouse?

MartoMiyagi
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

UK voluntary NICs possible for a Japanese spouse?

Post by MartoMiyagi »

Hi,

Has anyone here successfully set up UK voluntary NIC payments for their Japanese spouse?

My wife has a National Insurance card from our time living and working in the UK.

TIA for any information on this topic. Thank you also to the regular contributors for the vast wealth of information shared on here.
TokyoSurvivor
Regular

Re: UK voluntary NICs possible for a Japanese spouse?

Post by TokyoSurvivor »

MartoMiyagi wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:35 am Hi,

Has anyone here successfully set up UK voluntary NIC payments for their Japanese spouse?

My wife has a National Insurance card from our time living and working in the UK.

TIA for any information on this topic. Thank you also to the regular contributors for the vast wealth of information shared on here.
Just raised a question on this on another post, but this one is more relevant.

As stated, I checked ChatGPT to get an idea, and if my wife wanted to pay the full 35 years (Class 3) it would cost the following:
35 years×907.40 GBP per year=£31,759

If accurate, it's an amazing investment. She would then get the full UK State Pension, which is currently £203.85 per week (about £10,600 per year).

Want to hear others opinions on this. Does this sound accurate? Any Japanese tax implications for example?
Tkydon
Sensei

Re: UK voluntary NICs possible for a Japanese spouse?

Post by Tkydon »

If she has enough UK contributions while in the UK to qualify to make contributions;

If she is in Full-Time Employment, she would qualify to pay Class 2 Contributions, just under GBP 170 per year.

If she is unemployed, self employed or housewife, then she would probably qualify to pay Class 3 Contributions, which are higher than Class 2.

You should write to the Internation Section of HMRC

Send a letter to
PT Operations North East England,
NIC&EO,
BX9 1AN.
United Kingdom.

with her National Insurance Number.

Tell them her employment history, and ask for permission to back pay pay Class 2 Contributions.
They may reply that Class 2 are not available, but she may qualify for Class 3.
The absolute maximum available for back payment would be back to 2006.

Premiums are listed here
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... tributions

Expect a reply about 1 year after you send the inquiry letter ;-)
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.