Likes or thumbs up on posts?

trajan
Regular

Likes or thumbs up on posts?

Post by trajan »

I do not know if this has been discussed (or is even possible with phpBB), but the likes/thumbs-up feature makes it very easy to show appreciation for good replies and also makes good replies stand out.

Just my 2c.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Re: Likes or thumbs up on posts?

Post by Bubblegun »

trajan wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:28 am I do not know if this has been discussed (or is even possible with phpBB), but the likes/thumbs-up feature makes it very easy to show appreciation for good replies and also makes good replies stand out.

Just my 2c.
MMMmm I've gone off all the likes, thumbs up and thumbs down thingy.
I'm happy to read, write a reply, or take what I will from what people say. On top of that, someone's experience doesn't need to be thumbed up or thumbed down, as some sort of validation, as long as they are valid for the person who opined. I also think thumbs up and down are very black and white. Sometimes even the bad replies have value, maybe not at the time of reading, but maybe down the line. But that's just me! If I feel I like something I am happy to copy, paste, and type I agree.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
cocacola
Veteran

Post by cocacola »

There is definitely a "Like" extension for phpBB. I installed it for one of the companies I worked for years ago when we created an internal forum system.

There are lots of neat extensions that we used to make the board a lot more user-friendly and warm. Extensions for attaching images to your posts, changing the standard "phpBB" logo at the top-left to a custom one, changing the overall colour-theme of the site, etc.

I don't know if the admins of this board are really wanting to upgrade it, though....
Max
Regular

Post by Max »

Thumbs down from me to thumbs up/down. It's a bit vacuous, IMHO.
trajan
Regular

Post by trajan »

cocacola wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:48 am There is definitely a "Like" extension for phpBB. I installed it for one of the companies I worked for years ago when we created an internal forum system.

There are lots of neat extensions that we used to make the board a lot more user-friendly and warm. Extensions for attaching images to your posts, changing the standard "phpBB" logo at the top-left to a custom one, changing the overall colour-theme of the site, etc.

I don't know if the admins of this board are really wanting to upgrade it, though....
Good to hear.

It would have been a useful feature to highlight your post.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

cocacola wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:48 am ...

Site management takes time and energy, and alternatives to basic phpBB cost money (eg, Xenforo, used by TokyoCycle and jref).
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

captainspoke wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:31 pm alternatives to basic phpBB cost money
Discourse is free and has likes ;-)

Personally I think likes do more harm than good.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

adamu wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:54 pm
captainspoke wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:31 pm alternatives to basic phpBB cost money

Personally I think likes do more harm than good.
I approve of this message.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

adamu wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 10:54 pm...
On the one hand, sure. But it would seem there are people who want to avoid the time/hassle of techie aspect: Discourse