Current best NISA investments (Japan only and global)

JimmyK
Regular

Current best NISA investments (Japan only and global)

Post by JimmyK »

Hi all

I realize this isn’t a forum for providing professional investment advice….so, I’m not asking for that. Just wondering what people are successfully investing in through NISA at the moment? I’ve recently set up a Rakuten brokerage account and need to get cracking on using it. I know there’s a ‘world fund’ among the options available to purchase, so it would be good to hear how that is doing for those who’ve invested in it. Likewise any other overseas funds. With the yen being so weak (and the Nikkei continuing to rise), investing in certain Japanese stocks must surely be worthwhile too. Any suggestions, thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.
beanhead
Sensei

Re: Current best NISA investments (Japan only and global)

Post by beanhead »

https://www.retirejapan.com/blog/buying ... ual-funds/

Read this and other parts of the blog. Lots of good information.

On Japanese stocks, you may have missed the boat a bit (but who knows?).
Stock prices of all of the large trading companies have risen sharply in the last 3 or 4 years (Buffett effect?).

All-World funds, S&P500 funds etc have all risen as well, partly because they are $ based and your Japanese brokerage will shown the value in yen.
If you are just starting, keep it simple, buy a few funds and leave them alone. You may need to get a feel for your appetite to risk.
Example: The yen rose against the $ in the last few days so all of us with money in All-World will have seen a drop in the 'value'. Key here is probably not to look at your portfolio every day if you are investing for the long-term.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
JimmyK
Regular

Re: Current best NISA investments (Japan only and global)

Post by JimmyK »

Thanks!