Taking gains: should I?

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
beanhead
Sensei

Re: Taking gains: should I?

Post by beanhead »

cocacola wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:24 am Correct me if I'm wrong, but all us investors experience from the eMaxis Slim All Country fund is the fund's price movement, no?
You are not wrong. Just the price increase/decrease.
cocacola wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 5:24 am
Yes, from what I understand, the fund internally re-invests dividends of companies within the fund that pay dividends, but does not pay-out dividends to investors, nor re-invest those dividends marked for investors to purchase more of itself.
Agreed. No payout of dividends to investors.
I don't understand the part I put in bold.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
cocacola
Veteran

Post by cocacola »

beanhead wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:14 pm
Yes, from what I understand, the fund internally re-invests dividends of companies within the fund that pay dividends, but does not pay-out dividends to investors, nor re-invest those dividends marked for investors to purchase more of itself.
Ah, what I meant was that, since the eMaxis Slim fund does not pay dividends, it also does not have the ability to use the dividends to buy more of its own shares (DRiP?).
TokyoWart
Veteran

Post by TokyoWart »

cocacola wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:41 am
beanhead wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:14 pm
Ah, what I meant was that, since the eMaxis Slim fund does not pay dividends, it also does not have the ability to use the dividends to buy more of its own shares (DRiP?).
The eMaxis Slim funds are internally reinvesting those dividends so they in fact act just like a DRIP.