Can I claim a dependent tax deduction for my wife, while she is on maternity leave from her full time job?

Block
Regular

Can I claim a dependent tax deduction for my wife, while she is on maternity leave from her full time job?

Post by Block »

Hello all,

Thank you.
Business English teacher.
TunaSki
Regular

Re: Can I claim a dependent tax deduction for my wife, while she is on maternity leave from her full time job?

Post by TunaSki »

Block wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:31 am Hello all,

Thank you.
No. You can’t claim the dependent deduction for your wife. Because for your spouse you claim the spouse deduction or the spouse special deduction.

And yes, you can claim the spouse deduction or spouse special deduction for your wife while she’s on maternity leave and childcare leave, as long as her income earned falls under the thresholds for the applicable deduction. (And as long as your income isn’t past the threshold to not be eligible for it)

You won’t need to enroll her as a dependent spouse for social security purposes though, because she already has her own Shakai Hoken.
Block
Regular

Re: Can I claim a dependent tax deduction for my wife, while she is on maternity leave from her full time job?

Post by Block »

I understand. Thank you for your reply.
Business English teacher.