For Brits: it's time to vote

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
CluelessToshika
Regular

Re: For Brits: it's time to vote

Post by CluelessToshika »

Bubblegun wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:55 am The envelope says postage paid, but I am wondering if that includes Japan? Did you guys pay for the stamp? Or just post it as is. Just got it confirmed by the post office. No stamp required.
I decided to pay for registered post, for the peace of mind knowing it's arrived safe and sound (hopefully). I've been disenfranchised for > 20 years, so it's worth the little extra for me this time.
northSaver wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:53 am My ballot paper still hasn't arrived. It will have almost no chance of getting back in time now. Do you think I should send it anyway, or just forget about it? Presumably they won't exclude me from future votes if I don't send it back?
Correct, whether you vote or not is entirely up to you.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

northSaver wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:53 am My ballot paper still hasn't arrived. It will have almost no chance of getting back in time now. Do you think I should send it anyway, or just forget about it? Presumably they won't exclude me from future votes if I don't send it back?
Mine's late too.

I'm going to write "選挙 7月3日迄必着" on the envelope and stick it in the ordinary post.

Post it anyway, for your conscience 🙂
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

I think we should return our ballets out of principal. Especially if the returning officers or constituencies after the election realize they’re taking way too long to organize and send out the ballets abroad. Some of these seats are literally just a few votes separating the parties. Still have nightmares about the 1992 election and everyone thought John Major was out, so they didn’t bother voting. Only for Major to pull a rabbit out of the hat, or should that be his box that he went around the country with. I had a few people telling me we weren’t entitled to an opinion cause we didn’t live in the U.K. even though we pay our taxes and pensions. So we should still send it in.
Btw any idea how long it takes to get there?
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Bubblegun wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:25 am Btw any idea how long it takes to get there?
About a week in my experience, so chances are after tomorrow it won't make it unless you send it via EMS or courier.

Sent mine off yesterday! 🗳️
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

adamu wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:53 am
Bubblegun wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:25 am Btw any idea how long it takes to get there?
About a week in my experience, so chances are after tomorrow it won't make it unless you send it via EMS or courier.

Sent mine off yesterday! 🗳️
That's what I was thinking. I posted it so it should make it in time. Although I have been hearing on the news the Royal Mail hasn't got its ducks in a row. Let us know if you made it in time. :D
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Yeah, good points. I will send it back regardless. It still hasn't arrived here :(
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

northSaver wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:17 am By the way, can anyone recommend a clear and concise chart comparing where the main parties stand on various issues, such as tax, pension, immigration, foreign policy, etc.? Or does such a thing not exist yet? Thanks.
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cxeez8271nvo
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Thanks adamu, that's great :) I wonder if my voting paper will arrive today :roll:
CluelessToshika
Regular

Post by CluelessToshika »

CluelessToshika wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:34 am
Bubblegun wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:55 am The envelope says postage paid, but I am wondering if that includes Japan? Did you guys pay for the stamp? Or just post it as is. Just got it confirmed by the post office. No stamp required.
I decided to pay for registered post, for the peace of mind knowing it's arrived safe and sound (hopefully). I've been disenfranchised for > 20 years, so it's worth the little extra for me this time.
According to the tracking, it has left Japan but not yet arrived in the UK (both Japan Post and Česká pošta, sorry Royal Mail, agree on this), so I guess it's having a layover and maybe a mini beach-break somewhere sunny.
cru42

Post by cru42 »

My postal voting pack arrived today (2 July) in Tokyo.

I received a separate proxy voting pack a week ago. This also included my vote in person details.

Oh well.