For Brits: it's time to vote

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
Max
Regular

Re: For Brits: it's time to vote

Post by Max »

On that final point, surely the UK could do internet voting too?
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Not a huge uptick in overseas Brits registering to vote seemingly…

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ar ... k-election

Wonder how many of the 200,000 are readers of this forum!
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Gareth wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:11 pm Not a huge uptick in overseas Brits registering to vote seemingly…

Just read that article: very disappointing! Reckon we have a few on here 😀
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

RetireJapan wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:56 pm
Gareth wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:11 pm Not a huge uptick in overseas Brits registering to vote seemingly…

Just read that article: very disappointing! Reckon we have a few on here 😀
Maybe there is a fair share of disillusioned expat Tories who can't bring themselves to vote again for a party that had Bozo Boris and Truss as PM....
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

I have not requested a vote this time - mostly because I see almost no difference between the policies of Starmer’s Labour or Sunak’s Tories. Plus the election is a foregone conclusion….
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Deep Blue wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:56 am I have not requested a vote this time - mostly because I see almost no difference between the policies of Starmer’s Labour or Sunak’s Tories. Plus the election is a foregone conclusion….
It’s better to be registered and then not vote than to not be registered and wish at the last minute you had been able to vote…
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Have seen one Twitter user in Japan saying they have received their postal vote. Has anyone received theirs?

Am I right in thinking we have to pay the postage? Will everyone be sending it normal airmail or is registered post better?
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Gareth wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:51 am Has anyone received theirs?
Not sure.
Gareth wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:51 am Am I right in thinking we have to pay the postage?
No.
Gareth wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:51 am Will everyone be sending it normal airmail or is registered post better?
I can't speak for everyone.

I don't think registered post makes it faster, it just tracks the delivery. If you want fast, you need to use EMS or use a private courier. In my experience airmail between Japan and the UK takes ~1 week.

I will send it normal airmail via the included freepost envelope (at least, there has been one included from my constituency in all the votes I've participated in from Japan over the last 10 years - 3 GE's + Brexit). But there's a risk your vote won't get counted due to delays or administrative error.

If it turns out that there was only a few votes in it in your constituency, you can regret not paying for EMS later.
Last edited by adamu on Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Gareth wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:37 am
Deep Blue wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:56 am I have not requested a vote this time - mostly because I see almost no difference between the policies of Starmer’s Labour or Sunak’s Tories. Plus the election is a foregone conclusion….
It’s better to be registered and then not vote than to not be registered and wish at the last minute you had been able to vote…
I have no intention of voting so no need to waste time registering.
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Gareth wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:51 am Have seen one Twitter user in Japan saying they have received their postal vote. Has anyone received theirs?
I got an email in the night saying that my ballot papers had been sent. So about 15 days for them to get here and back. It's going to be tight :|