Backpaying UK Class 2 NIc's

This is where you can post your detailed situation or plan and get feedback.
smalldog
Regular

Re: Backpaying UK Class 2 NIc's

Post by smalldog »

I made a one-off transfer from a UK bank account in December and received the update of fund allocation over the weekend. So approx 15 weeks maybe? God spede!
Seasider4374
Regular

Post by Seasider4374 »

Thanks! Great info to have to hand. So come June/July I'll chase this up if not by then reflected on my Government Gateway page.
Max
Regular

Post by Max »

I periodically think about looking into making NI back payments, but from people's experiences relayed to the Forum, I really wonder if I can be bovvered with all the hassle. Shame to leave money on the table though.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Max wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:47 am I periodically think about looking into making NI back payments, but from people's experiences relayed to the Forum, I really wonder if I can be bovvered with all the hassle. Shame to leave money on the table though.
Simply put, it’s worth the hassle.
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

Gareth wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:20 am
Max wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 5:47 am I periodically think about looking into making NI back payments, but from people's experiences relayed to the Forum, I really wonder if I can be bovvered with all the hassle. Shame to leave money on the table though.
Simply put, it’s worth the hassle.
Yep. 2 government pensions vs 1.
It was a no-brainer for me (and I was a skeptic at first too)
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Best investment I know of. Almost definitely worth the time/hassle.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:56 am
Best investment I know of. Almost definitely worth the time/hassle.
Can I take credit for pointing you in the right direction about 6 or 7 years ago?

Although the state pension is almost approaching 1000 pounds a month, it doesn't really go that far in the UK, but due to the cost of living differentials in Japan, it really is a bonus being it paid in Japan. And as for class 2 NICS you are a winner to none. Needless to say I am class 3.

I often talk to Aussies, Kiwis and Canadians about their state pension schemes, and they can't believe what a great deal we have got in Japan with the British state pension.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

It depends if paying them would top you up to the 30ish years required to get the full pension, and if you are likely to pay compulsory NI in the future.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

It's the best investment any expat Brit can make unless they've already qualified for a full state pension.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Wales4rugbyWC23 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 12:15 pm Can I take credit for pointing you in the right direction about 6 or 7 years ago?
Absolutely! I was pretty stubborn about it at first too :lol:
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)