Buying gold

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
Max
Regular

Buying gold

Post by Max »

I'm thinking of buying some gold, without taking physical possession of it. Can anyone recommend dealers, preferably in Kansai? Any goldbugs out there who could point me towards some useful info/resources?
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Buying gold

Post by RetireJapan »

Bullionvault but they are not in Japan.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

You have so many choices, it depends if you want the option for physical delivery or not.

1. Your broker almost certainly has an option to buy gold, and later if you wish, take delivery. Rakuten for instance, lots of options with this, including the option for monthly purchases via tsumitate/credit card.

2. Lots of ETFs on the TSE, including one that has an option to take physical delivery
https://www.jpx.co.jp/equities/products ... 1540-j.pdf

3. Lots of mutual fund options.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

Don't you have to add consumption tax when you trade physical gold here?
Max
Regular

Post by Max »

Thanks for your responses. I'm in the process of setting up a brokerage account at the mo.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

It made me think of all the ways I own gold…
- bank tsumitate product (somewhat costly)
- mutual funds (good for tsumitate)
- US ETF (GLDM - good for buy and hold)
- Japan futures market (not for buy-and-hold, due to contract expiration, but otherwise it’s cheap)
- CFD accounts (Rakuten, etc)

I want to get me some physical gold sometime too but the preponderance of online options has defied my desire to date…
cocacola
Veteran

Post by cocacola »

If you buy physical gold, some gold dealers ask that you fill out a form with your name and other information.

Know that you are not legally-obligated to fill out this form. You can just say "no thanks" and you will still be able to purchase your gold.

At least, that was the case a few years ago.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

cocacola wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:46 am If you buy physical gold, some gold dealers ask that you fill out a form with your name and other information.

Know that you are not legally-obligated to fill out this form. You can just say "no thanks" and you will still be able to purchase your gold.

At least, that was the case a few years ago.
This is often not done for nefarious purposes, registered customers can resell what they bought more easily.

Selling gold these days can be trickery due to all the fakery, and pain of testing. Dealers are less likely to refuse a purchase if they have you on record buying the same product you are selling.

The pain of selling physical PM in real life makes one wonder why survivalists love the stuff so much.
cocacola
Veteran

Post by cocacola »

Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:05 am This is often not done for nefarious purposes, registered customers can resell what they bought more easily.
Ah, makes sense. But do they assay metals regularly? Seems like a pain in the butt. But I can understand why they would go through the process, as there are a lot of fakes going around.

I was just worried that the information from the form could be given to government entities or whatnot. That's my greatest concern about it.
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

cocacola wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 2:59 pm
Tsumitate Wrestler wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:05 am This is often not done for nefarious purposes, registered customers can resell what they bought more easily.
Ah, makes sense. But do they assay metals regularly? Seems like a pain in the butt. But I can understand why they would go through the process, as there are a lot of fakes going around.

I was just worried that the information from the form could be given to government entities or whatnot. That's my greatest concern about it.
Why is that a concern? You need ID to buy and sell any amount over 1man and the seller is legally required to keep a record for at least 7 years. All larger transactions must be automatically reported.