Does PT work as a student qualify to contribute to UK pension?

halfmanhalfsenbei
Regular

Does PT work as a student qualify to contribute to UK pension?

Post by halfmanhalfsenbei »

Hi all
Does part-time work count towards "ordinary employment"?
I have already qualified for (and paid) class 2 for a number of years I have worked full time in Japan.
Now I am wondering if I am eligible to pay for the years I was a full time uni student in Japan and working part-time.
Since I was working and paying tax, I was also eligible to contribute to a pension and would have been making NI contributions had I been in the UK.
Cheers everyone! :D
beanhead
Sensei

Re: Does PT work as a student qualify to contribute to UK pension?

Post by beanhead »

I think only the HMRC can answer this. They do not seem to provide a definition of ordinary employment.
My hunch is that it means full-time employment, ie over 30 hours per week, but best to check with them.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
halfmanhalfsenbei
Regular

Post by halfmanhalfsenbei »

Thanks for your reply.
That’s what I assumed, but half of my qualifying years of UK based employment were while I was a full time student working PT.
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

Depending on your age, students used to get credit for being in full-time education at the age of 16. Myself and many others here have 3 years worth of credit, apparently for being at school when aged 16,17, and 18. If you have 3 'bonus' qualifying years it could be this.
If not, I am not sure. Maybe the requirement is for less than full-time hours. HMRC doesn't seem to provide clear guidance, unfortunately.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.