PR (spouse) after 1 year

This is a safe space to ask any questions, no matter how basic.
germandog
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

PR (spouse) after 1 year

Post by germandog »

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is a silly question, I can’t find the answer anywhere from my research

It is said that we can apply for PR after one year in Japan if married for long enough but how would we have paid the required number of years worth of tax etc (3 years?) for the required documents?

I would like to apply for PR at the earliest opportunity

I have been married to a Japanese national for 15 years, living abroad until early 2023 when we came to live in Japan. We have a child at elementary school (Japanese citizen). I have had the same (low paid teaching) job since arriving paying all taxes and pension (I believe the bill for residence tax is due to arrive shortly, being based on the previous year). My wife is relatively high earning with all nenkin paid up, although she is self employed - taxes paid up also. I initially had a one year visa, at first renewal I was given 3 years.

Any advice is much appreciated

Thanks
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: PR (spouse) after 1 year

Post by Beaglehound »

Yes you can apply after one year, I did it. The lack of three years worth of payments wasn't a substantive problem, though did cause a bit of bureaucratic hassle as immigration asked for them anyway after we had submitted the application...Took a phone call to sort out.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Sounds like you'll be fine.

They're pretty happy to answer any questions you have, if in doubt ask directly.
germandog
Probation (posts moderated and no PMs)

Post by germandog »

Thank you very much for your replies, I am encouraged

I’ll start preparing to apply and I’ll update if I have any more questions or progress to report
Tsumitate Wrestler
Veteran

Post by Tsumitate Wrestler »

shyam wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:02 pm Is there a way to demonstrate tax contributions for the previous years spent living abroad?
Tax contributions....to other countries?

Any Japanese contributions are reflected on the Nenkin net system, or you can obtain a detailed paper record from the nenkin office.