How much do mutual funds rely on ETFs and derivatives to keep in line with the index?

Tkydon
Sage

Re: How much do mutual funds rely on ETFs and derivatives to keep in line with the index?

Post by Tkydon »

ToushiTime wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:16 pm
Tkydon wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:43 pm
ToushiTime wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:05 pm

One of the three motherfunds tracks the MSCI Kokusai, the same index tracked by the motherfund of eMAXIS Slim Developed Nations.
I found nothing extra in the short or long version of that eMaxis SLIM fund's prospectus.

I don't know how to get info about the motherfund itself.
Pages 17 (PDF 19) and 216 (PDF 218) of the Long Prospectus state

(3)投資制限
③投資信託証券(上場投資信託証券を除きます。)への実質投資割合は、信託財産の純資産
総額の5%以下とします。

It doesn't say how much is actually in 上場投資信託証券
I think that sentence doesn't tell us anything about ETFs (上場投資信託証券) in the fund, including whether they exist inside it or not.
Surely 「を除きます。」 means excluding ETFs, so the sentence does not apply to them?
That is what I said.

:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
ToushiTime
Veteran

Re: How much do mutual funds rely on ETFs and derivatives to keep in line with the index?

Post by ToushiTime »

Tkydon wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:12 am
ToushiTime wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:16 pm
Tkydon wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:43 pm

Pages 17 (PDF 19) and 216 (PDF 218) of the Long Prospectus state

(3)投資制限
③投資信託証券(上場投資信託証券を除きます。)への実質投資割合は、信託財産の純資産
総額の5%以下とします。

I think that sentence doesn't tell us anything about ETFs (上場投資信託証券) in the fund, including whether they exist inside it or not.
Surely 「を除きます。」 means excluding ETFs, so the sentence does not apply to them?
That is what I said.

Ah, I was wondering why you quoted the same text and made the same point that I did in my first reply to you. I guess you didn't notice it. Sorry, I didn't include your name in the quoted text. Anyway, it looks like I cannot find out the level of eMaxis SLIM All Country ETF holdings from info on the web.

I found this.
"In more mechanical applications, mutual funds rely on ETFs to stay fully invested in the face of purchases and redemptions. Cash arrives toward the end of a trading day, and ETFs enable managers to invest quickly in their benchmarks or sectors, and minimize cash drag."
https://www.ai-cio.com/news/etfs-instit ... n-outlook/

Given that and Rakuten's comment マザーファンドの投資信託財産の規模やマザーファンドへの資金流出入の規模によっては、ETF や株価指数
先物取引への投資割合が相対的に大きくなることがあります。 https://www.rakuten-toushin.co.jp/fund/ ... cwi_Ps.pdf, I'll just assume size matters, meaning eMaxis SLIM All Country is probably going to make less use of ETFs than other funds.

This may dissuade me from switching from eMaxis All Country to Rakuten's new global one (not the wrap) even though they are tempting me with extra Rakuten points on top of the Rakuten Card/Cash points.

Edit:
I phoned the customer help line on the eMaxis SLIM All Country prospectus. The guy just guided me to the parts of the longer mokuromisho we are discussing. I asked him about the asset table and the ETF note below it on page 191(193 of the PDF). He confirmed ETFs were classed as level 1 and could be included in either 有価証券 on the table which was blank/zero or in 投資有価証券 which he said includes other assets, so there is no way of telling if there are ETFs in there or how much. He said he cannot provide any info other than what is in the prospectus.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

ToushiTime wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:01 am I phoned the customer help line on the eMaxis SLIM All Country prospectus... He said he cannot provide any info other than what is in the prospectus.
Good to know 😂