S&P, Nasdaq, and a noob question

kingbean

S&P, Nasdaq, and a noob question

Post by kingbean »

Hi, I’m trying to wrap my head around investing and I have possibly completely stupid question. I have just read that S&P index went about 20% up this year and Nasdaq over 40%. I know that this doesn’t happen every year, but still I have to wonder, is it possible to buy these in NISA or another way? Does it mean that those who held them this year got this kind of appreciation? Thanks a lot
Tkydon
Sage

Re: S&P, Nasdaq, and a noob question

Post by Tkydon »

If you take the Starting Prices for the S&P and Nasdaq multiplied by the Dollar Yen Exchange Rate at the beginning of the year, and the Finishing Prices multiplied by the Dollar Yen Exchange Rate at the end of the year, then how does it look?
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

kingbean wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:33 pm Hi, I’m trying to wrap my head around investing and I have possibly completely stupid question. I have just read that S&P index went about 20% up this year and Nasdaq over 40%. I know that this doesn’t happen every year, but still I have to wonder, is it possible to buy these in NISA or another way? Does it mean that those who held them this year got this kind of appreciation? Thanks a lot
You can easily buy S&P500 funds in NISA and iDeCo. Not sure about Nasdaq, but probably available in NISA.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
captainspoke
Sage

Post by captainspoke »

Tkydon wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:09 pm If you take the Starting Prices for the S&P and Nasdaq multiplied by the Dollar Yen Exchange Rate at the beginning of the year, and the Finishing Prices multiplied by the Dollar Yen Exchange Rate at the end of the year, then how does it look?
Even better? --the year started at 131, now 141.

But that's what has helped to carry most any fund that includes the US higher.