Black swan events specific to Japan

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
AdultingInJapan

Black swan events specific to Japan

Post by AdultingInJapan »

Hello. Hope you are having a wonderful winter holidays. Inspired by a Value Investing FB group post, what do you think would be the next biggest black swan event in Japan that would affect the stock market?
Hopefully we are mostly, if not all, long term investors in Japan, and as such we also think about the various risks of investing in this country (true as in any other countries).

One thing I could easily think of would be natural disasters, for example, another case of the 2011 Great Tohoku earthquake. Anything else?
Deep Blue
Veteran

Re: Black swan events specific to Japan

Post by Deep Blue »

Mt Fuji erupting, North Korean missile strike, conflict with China over marine resources, fiscal collapse.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

If Ukraine doesn't get support against Russia, or the US bails out on Ukraine, then the next big event could be China Invading Taiwan. Although not specific to Japan I think it would have a huge impact on the whole region. Especially if NK also saw a chance too. Wether japan would get drawn in ....i don't know.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Nankai trough earthquake and tsunami. Game over.

(not really a black swan event I guess as everyone knows about it)

New virus.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

Discovery of yellow swans.
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Bubblegun wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:57 am If Ukraine doesn't get support against Russia, or the US bails out on Ukraine, then the next big event could be China Invading Taiwan. Although not specific to Japan I think it would have a huge impact on the whole region. Especially if NK also saw a chance too. Wether japan would get drawn in ....i don't know.
China invading Taiwan would be apocalyptic for the whole world. Instant recession nd probably years and years of depression. Even if the US doesn't get drawn in, all the worlds advanced semiconductor plants are in Taiwan and the supply chain distruption would make the pandemic seem like a storm in a teacup.
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

I think the nature of black swan events is that you can't predict them, so the thread seems quite pointless 🤭

Next time the stock market crashes for a new reason, whoever predicted the cause should write their "I told you so" here.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

adamu wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:19 am Discovery of yellow swans.
:D
AdultingInJapan

Post by AdultingInJapan »

adamu wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:22 am I think the nature of black swan events is that you can't predict them, so the thread seems quite pointless 🤭
Still interesting to think about though ;)

I think that Japan propping up its military budget and the fact that the US encouraging this, Japan will definitely be pulled in to a Taiwan conflict if ever there was one
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

Deep Blue wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:20 am
Bubblegun wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:57 am If Ukraine doesn't get support against Russia, or the US bails out on Ukraine, then the next big event could be China Invading Taiwan. Although not specific to Japan I think it would have a huge impact on the whole region. Especially if NK also saw a chance too. Wether japan would get drawn in ....i don't know.
China invading Taiwan would be apocalyptic for the whole world. Instant recession and probably years and years of depression. Even if the US doesn't get drawn in, all the worlds advanced semiconductor plants are in Taiwan and the supply chain disruption would make the pandemic seem like a storm in a teacup.
I totally agree. But when I see Taiwanese advanced semiconductor plants opening up in the US, it makes me think that strategically that "chip" would be taken away from Taiwan, and there would be no reason to get into a HOT WAR with China since those plants have been relocated. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but I am convinced China would have studied the Cuban missile crisis and "blockade". China's naval build-up really has only one purpose. Lets hope we never get to see that Black Swan.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.