SBI Connect

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
northSaver
Veteran

SBI Connect

Post by northSaver »

Has anyone with a middle name managed to link their Shinsei Bank and SBI Securities accounts using SBI Connect? I thought it would be a good idea because Shinsei upgrade you to Diamond status if you do it, which gives you interesting perks such as commission-free international deposits and domestic transfers.

But... I've been struggling with this for a while now and have finally given up. The main problem is that Shinsei don't have a katakana middle name field but SBI Securities do. And if the katakana names don't match exactly then they can't connect. Shinsei suggested that I ask SBI to remove my katakana middle name to solve the problem. I almost did that via a phonecall this morning, but was reminded that my existing bank connections with SBI, such as Japan Post bank, would stop working if the names were different. Not a big deal perhaps if SBI Connect works? I then started wondering what else it would affect, such as connections to the tax office and things like that. Also how long Shinsei bank will be in business for! So I've cancelled the request for now.

Has anyone else removed their middle name from SBI Securities as a workaround to connecting with Shinsei Bank and, if so, have there been any implications other than lost free-commission transfers between existing bank connections? Thanks.
Azrael

Re: SBI Connect

Post by Azrael »

I'm in exactly the same boat and have also given up. I have very long first and middle names so always a problem opening accounts here. Hopefully someone has had some joy and can help us out!!!