Rakuten now accepts credit card payments and gives points

Tony
Veteran

Rakuten now accepts credit card payments and gives points

Post by Tony »

I was just adjusting my tsumitate nisa options and noticed that Rakuten now offers credit card payment that also gives rakuten points. I'm not sure exactly when this was implemented, but the option on the order page has "new" next to it, so I'm guessing it's new ...

I tried to do it myself, but as rakuten securities severely limits account name length, I got an error saying my account name and credit card name don't match, so I guess it would take a call to get it set up.

I like the idea of getting points on the purchases, but at the same time, I like the fact that tsumitate takes it directly from my account, instead of me having to place that money in another account manually (I have all my credit cards draw from a single account, separate from my daily usage account).

Here's an image of the new order screen
rakuten CC.jpg
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Rakuten now accepts credit card payments and gives points

Post by RetireJapan »

Very interesting. I guess you get CC points for this too?
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Ah, I see it has to be a Rakuten CC, and only up to 50,000 yen a month.

No air miles ;)

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

That translates to 500Y in points each month. I've set it up using my Rakuten credit card and it went smoothly. The 6000Y annual return is definitely worth the 5 minutes it took.
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:53 am Ah, I see it has to be a Rakuten CC, and only up to 50,000 yen a month.

No air miles ;)
Ahh bummer. I was excited to set it up with my Rakuten Air Miles card.....sigh....
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

N00bster wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:23 am That translates to 500Y in points each month. I've set it up using my Rakuten credit card and it went smoothly. The 6000Y annual return is definitely worth the 5 minutes it took.
But is it worth applying for a Rakuten CC, etc?

Hmmm. Have to think about it.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

RetireJapan wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:45 am
N00bster wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:23 am That translates to 500Y in points each month. I've set it up using my Rakuten credit card and it went smoothly. The 6000Y annual return is definitely worth the 5 minutes it took.
But is it worth applying for a Rakuten CC, etc?

Hmmm. Have to think about it.
I already had one so this was a no brainer. It's up to you to decide whether the benefits make the card worthy for you. The premium card is 10,800Y per year. This bring down its effective cost to 5,000Y, and you get free access to airport lounges. 😉

Beyond ordering on Rakuten sites, points can be converted to Edy money on a 1:1 basis.
Tony
Veteran

Post by Tony »

You didn't get any errors when you tried it? Mine threw up a, name does not match error, so I just let it slide, maybe I'll try again.
N00bster
Veteran

Post by N00bster »

Tony wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:54 am
You didn't get any errors when you tried it? Mine threw up a, name does not match error, so I just let it slide, maybe I'll try again.
Nope, this went like a breeze. I did get an error similar to yours when I tried to link my rakuten ichiba account to get the points they offer on tsumitate orders however. But my credit card went ok, maybe the names are the same for some reason?
OkiBum
Veteran

Post by OkiBum »

Tony wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:10 am I was just adjusting my tsumitate nisa options and noticed that Rakuten now offers credit card payment that also gives rakuten points. I'm not sure exactly when this was implemented, but the option on the order page has "new" next to it, so I'm guessing it's new ...

I tried to do it myself, but as rakuten securities severely limits account name length, I got an error saying my account name and credit card name don't match, so I guess it would take a call to get it set up.

I like the idea of getting points on the purchases, but at the same time, I like the fact that tsumitate takes it directly from my account, instead of me having to place that money in another account manually (I have all my credit cards draw from a single account, separate from my daily usage account).

Here's an image of the new order screen
rakuten CC.jpg
How do you get to this page? I have been trying hard but unable to locate this page...

This is on Rakuten Securities right??