One fund to rule them all?

nanaya
Regular

Re: One fund to rule them all?

Post by nanaya »

what the hell. I just bought some emaxis slim s&p500 a bit ago exactly because of the slightly lower fees at the time :lol:
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

adamu wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:37 am Interestingly even the SBI V fund that wraps up VT is now cheaper than VT itself, at 0.0638% vs. 0.07%.
This was not actually the case. Confusingly they have started listing their loaded fee separately to the underlying fund fee on the prospectus, in the same place they used to list the total charge, so I misread it. The 0.0638% is in addition to VT's 0.07% so the total fee remains the same at 0.1338%.

Even more confusingly, even though vanguard's fee is 0.07%, the mother fund that wraps it is "about" 0.07%.
TBS

Post by TBS »

TBS wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:19 pm SBI still list eMaxis Slim All Country as paying 0.0415% points back. Though it is likely that will drop to 0.0175% shortly in line with the new lower broker's commission.
Call me Nostradamus, but SBI have just announced they are dropping the eMaxis Slim All Country points rate down to 0.0175%. ;)

Nonetheless SBI's effective fund fee for holding eMaxis Slim All Country of 0.04% (0.05753% - 0.0175%) is still amazing.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

RetireJapan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:54 pm The new eMaxis slim all-country fund seems pretty good: https://siegeljiro.com/emaxis-slim-allcountry-bunseki

Any drawbacks?
There’s another problem.

I would not be able to call myself an ethical man if I were to invest in the MSCI ACWI.

In doing so so, I would be giving money directly to the Chinese communist party, and in effect, to any of the dubious partners that they’ve allied themselves to (like Russia and North Korea).

This is an inconvenient truth that people try to sweep under the rug like nobody’s looking. Telling themselves, “ Oh it’s just business” or “ Money is money, who cares where it comes from.”

So why would I sell my soul if there are other options which are likely more lucrative and ultimately less volatile?
alberto
Regular

Post by alberto »

It amazes me to see this debate about a difference in the order of 0.1% in the fund fee but not caring at all about the currency risk of buying mostly USD with your JPY. That difference meant about 50% of additional price variation in the last 2 years, orders of magnitude over those small fees differences. It was for good this time, but who knows what the JPY will do in the future, are you willing to accept another 50% down? This is the comparison when you hedge the currency, and this ETF's fee is less than 0.2%.

Untitled.jpg
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

alberto wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:26 am the currency risk of buying mostly USD with your JPY
Let's keep this 'debate' in the other thread please.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

Gulliver wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:56 am
RetireJapan wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:54 pm The new eMaxis slim all-country fund seems pretty good: https://siegeljiro.com/emaxis-slim-allcountry-bunseki

Any drawbacks?
There’s another problem.

I would not be able to call myself an ethical man if I were to invest in the MSCI ACWI.

In doing so so, I would be giving money directly to the Chinese communist party, and in effect, to any of the dubious partners that they’ve allied themselves to (like Russia and North Korea).

This is an inconvenient truth that people try to sweep under the rug like nobody’s looking. Telling themselves, “ Oh it’s just business” or “ Money is money, who cares where it comes from.”

So why would I sell my soul if there are other options which are likely more lucrative and ultimately less volatile?
You’re not understanding how equity markets work. You’re not giving money to the CCP, you’re simply buying shares from someone else who is selling them. Fractional ownership of a company….

And as for not wanting exposure to China, well when you’re buying any fund they’ll be many companies who both make things in and sell to China… Apple would be a great example. Any fund of Japanese equities would have the auto OEMs and factory automation companies like Fanuc who have large China exposure..

Any tracker fund is going to have a lot of exposure to China.
alberto
Regular

Post by alberto »

RetireJapan wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:20 am
alberto wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:26 am the currency risk of buying mostly USD with your JPY
Let's keep this 'debate' in the other thread please.
Sure, but that was relevant here too.