Dividend Calculations

cocacola
Regular

Dividend Calculations

Post by cocacola »

I am looking at receiving dividend income. However, not being able to read kanji well, I am finding it difficult to find some of the information to input into some dividend calculators.

The dividend calculator I am trying to use is this one on MarketBeat.

The example fund I am looking at is this one on Monex.

The calculator requires specific information in order to make the estimates. I tried looking at the fund's page on Monex to find this info, but can't seem to find all of it. Specifically, how do I find:
  • Initial Annual Dividend Yield
  • Expected Annual Dividend Amount Increase %
  • Expected Annual Share Price Appreciation %
I think that I have to make an assumption or calculated guess at the Dividend Amount Increase % and Annual Share Price Appreciation % (looking at the numbers and charts). But for the Annual Dividend Yield, I cannot find this information on the page...

Any help is appreciated!
beanhead
Sage

Re: Dividend Calculations

Post by beanhead »

eMaxis Slim fund dividends are reinvested, not paid out to the investor.
This helps those funds grow tax-free.
If you want dividends you will have to find different funds/ETFs and pay tax on the dividends each time at around 20% (unless bought inside NISA of course).
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
cocacola
Regular

Post by cocacola »

beanhead wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:53 am eMaxis Slim fund dividends are reinvested, not paid out to the investor.
This helps those funds grow tax-free.
If you want dividends you will have to find different funds/ETFs and pay tax on the dividends each time at around 20% (unless bought inside NISA of course).
Oh, I thought that the dividend reinvestment was optional for eMaxis Slim... on Monex, when purchasing units of eMaxis Slim for NISA, there is an option of whether to reinvest the dividends or to pay out the dividends... I always chose the reinvest option, but always thought that it was optional.

In terms of dividend-paying funds, would you know what search term I should use? Would 配当金支払い (haitou-kin shiharai) be the correct term?
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

If you're using mutual funds approved for TNISA, I think none of them pay out
Tkydon
Sage

Post by Tkydon »

The eMaxis Slim Funds' dividends are according to the dividends paid by the assets in the fund, so the underlying equities held by the Fund Administrator, and if they are global equities, will be affected by the exchange rates, and will then be subject to taxation to be paid by the Fund Administrator, consisting of Withholding Tax in the country of origin of the asset (US equity Dividends are taxable as US sourced Income in the US, etc.), and in the county of Domicile of the Fund (Dividend Income to the Fund is taxable in that country as Dividend Income to the Fund Administrator with a Foreign Tax Credit for the tax paid in the country of origin of the asset), and then if paid out to the investor, taxable in the county of residence of the Investor (Dividend Income to the Individual, maybe with dividend tax credits or allowances), according to the various Tax Treaties in place between the country of origin of the asset and the county of Domicile of the Fund, and between the the county of Domicile of the Fund and the county of residence of the Investor.

It is not possible to provide a definitive Dividend Yield, as that is a constantly moving number with the exchange rate, dividend changes, etc..
You would only be able to calculate the yield for the year in arrears, and guestimate future projected yield...
:
:
This Guide to Japanese Taxes, English and Japanese Tai-Yaku 対訳, is now a little dated:

https://zaik.jp/books/472-4

The Publisher is not planning to publish an update for '23 Tax Season.