SBI証券 trading conditions

JapHans

SBI証券 trading conditions

Post by JapHans »

Hi all,

I am struggling to understand the trading conditions for orders in the SBI証券 system. I am particularly interested in how to setup a sales order with a limit (if the price goes beyond) or a stop-loss sales order (if the price goes below a defined level). I see terms like 寄指, 引指, 寄成, 引成, 不成, 逆指値, 不成, IOC, OCO, IFD, IFDOC etc.). Too much Japanese explanation for me to make good sense of it.

Any help is appreciated.

Hans
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Re: SBI証券 trading conditions

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

JapHans wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:27 pm Hi all,

I am struggling to understand the trading conditions for orders in the SBI証券 system. I am particularly interested in how to setup a sales order with a limit (if the price goes beyond) or a stop-loss sales order (if the price goes below a defined level). I see terms like 寄指, 引指, 寄成, 引成, 不成, 逆指値, 不成, IOC, OCO, IFD, IFDOC etc.). Too much Japanese explanation for me to make good sense of it.

Any help is appreciated.

Hans
Here is their explanation. However, I would not trade actively in my non-native language unless I was confident in the terminology.* Why not set up your Nisa/IDeco with buy and holds in SBI and trade actively with Interactive-brokers in English?

https://www.sbisec.co.jp/ETGate/WPLETmg ... #anchor-01

*I would suggest mutual funds, and ignoring all this mess to begin with.
JapHans

Post by JapHans »

Thanks for your advice.

Actually, I am not actively trading, but focus on holding high/stable dividend shares of Japanese companies (with limited currency exposure). Still understanding more about the trading conditions is good, I think.

Unfortunately, all explanations are in Japanese, which is a bit of a challenge for me (and even for my Japanese wife….).
Last edited by JapHans on Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamu
Sage

Post by adamu »

JapHans wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:36 am focus on holding high/stable shares of Japanese companies
For that you can use 成功 which is you get whatever the market price is at the time of the order.

Honestly I used limit orders too when I used to buy US ETFs / sell stock in my old employer, but it's a form of market timing and doing a market order is better. With mutual funds there is no way to designate a price, so the temptation to time the market is removed 💆‍♂️
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

adamu wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:44 am
JapHans wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:36 am focus on holding high/stable shares of Japanese companies
..... doing a market order is better.
I strongly disagree with this. Limit orders (marketable limit orders) are the way to go.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Order
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

If you are a long term buy and hold investor placing orders in a live market, market orders are fine. If you are a short term trader trying to make a few % and cash out, or you are placing orders to be executed in another time zone (US etc) then limit orders may be more appropriate.
JapHans

Post by JapHans »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:42 am
adamu wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:44 am
..... doing a market order is better.
I strongly disagree with this. Limit orders (marketable limit orders) are the way to go.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Order
I too think that limit orders (like stop-loss orders) can be important not to lose (too much) on a gain made. Taking a gain at a pre-determined price could also be a good way to go, even if you, in principle want to hold shares longer. At least, you don’t have to watch the market all the time. Challenge seems to be the duration for a limit order to be open?