Saison Global Balance Fund

TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Re: Saison Global Balance Fund

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

Bubblegun wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:27 am There is one thing with this fund I forgot to mention.
We started this before there were the NISA funds so there will be a charge to pay when you make a withdrawal.
Now according to the wife, it can be 10% of the amount you withdraw. She said its the tax.
So it is probably not worth adding any more money to it and putting this year's payments into the 2023 NISA.
We started a long time ago so It looks like we are lumbered with the tax situation. Thankfully I opened the NISA when it started.
If only they had started the NISA thing years ago.
Oh well....couldn't be helped.
Capital gains tax is 20.15%. So basically 1/5 of the profit you made.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

TokyoBoglehead wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:11 pm
Bubblegun wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:27 am There is one thing with this fund I forgot to mention.
We started this before there were the NISA funds so there will be a charge to pay when you make a withdrawal.
Now according to the wife, it can be 10% of the amount you withdraw. She said it's the tax.
So it is probably not worth adding any more money to it and putting this year's payments into the 2023 NISA.
We started a long time ago so It looks like we are lumbered with the tax situation. Thankfully I opened the NISA when it started.
If only they had started the NISA thing years ago.
Oh well....couldn't be helped.
Capital gains tax is 20.15%. So basically 1/5 of the profit you made.
Thanks for that Tokyoboglehead. I am wondering then what people here think we should do with this fund.

Should we leave the money in this rather inefficient fund to grow, knowing there will be capital gains to pay later, or B) take the money now, pay the capital gains now, and then put that money to better work into the NISA? ( that could either be the same fund but in the tax-efficient wrapper of NISA or into the Emaxi S&P500)

So here are my new thoughts now after being hit with Capital gains.

Take the money out now and pay the capital gains, KNOWING that the money will be put into a NISA which will hopefully then grow with NO CAPITAL GAINS over the next 8 to 10 years?

How does that seem? Over thinking? reasonable? a good plan?
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
zeroshiki
Veteran

Post by zeroshiki »

The consideration would be whether you can fill up the NISA completely independently of the money in this fund. If the answer is no then you should sell it. If not then it doesn't hurt you to just keep it sitting there and (slowly) growing.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

zeroshiki wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:13 am The consideration would be whether you can fill up the NISA completely independently of the money in this fund. If the answer is no then you should sell it. If not then it doesn't hurt you to just keep it sitting there and (slowly) growing.
I don't think I can fill the year's allocation into my NISA, but I could put the money from Saison into both my kid's NISA.

So I suppose it might be worth selling them now, and putting them into the three nisa's.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.