How are you doing financially after corona?

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum

How are you doing financially after corona?

Very good
29%
Good
38%
Same
22%
A little worse off
11%
Much more worse off
No votes

Total votes: 45

AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Re: How are you doing financially after corona?

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

I have a couple of questions. I hope I'm not being too nosy - just ignore them if I am.
jcc wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:30 amconsumer facing tech/entertainment
Pardon my ignorance, but what does this mean in practical terms? Games?
Gulliver wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:19 pm When the first news stories of Covid emerged a similar opportunity presented itself. I immediately took short term positions in certain pharmaceutical companies which, of course, paid off big time.
Have you since sold those to realize the gains, or are you still holding them?
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

I voted "Same" because although we save a lot and are always better off than three years ago, I don't think the pandemic has affected it much on balance.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Took about a 20% hit to the portfolio.
Shifted spending to USD credit cards for about the last 9 months, so the yen is piling up. Need to figure out what to do with it.
New solar system was installed this month, so an EV is on the shopping list...
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:42 pm My health is not good though, I've had breathing issues, fatigue, and joint problems since 2020. It does take a toll on life. Like the saying says: a healthy man wants many things, but a sick one wants only one.
Ain’t that the truth… The first couple of years of Covid kept me out of the gym and reduced my outdoor exercise considerably. I still haven’t been able to get back to my pre-Covid pain/fitness level. Once the vicious cycle of sickness/injury/inactivity begins it’s hard to break out. Try to stay positive and keep on keepin’ on.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Gulliver wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:37 am Ain’t that the truth… The first couple of years of Covid kept me out of the gym and reduced my outdoor exercise considerably. I still haven’t been able to get back to my pre-Covid pain/fitness level. Once the vicious cycle of sickness/injury/inactivity begins it’s hard to break out. Try to stay positive and keep on keepin’ on.
Absolutely. Staying positive and focusing things I have control of is one of my strengths, fortunately.

Trying to make health more of a priority every day now. It's the best investment there is :D
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Jed331

Post by Jed331 »

If anything we are marginally better off but about the same
Haven’t lost any thing much on investments and both wife and I have jobs that have not been affected all
So …. Very thankful
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

captainspoke wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:27 pm
TokyoBoglehead wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:13 pm 2 Kids in the last 3 years and the wives on childcare leave.
Either that's an english usage mistake, or it's not...! :D
We preach the importance of diversification here...
mikele3
Veteran

Post by mikele3 »

JimNasium wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:11 pm For me work is the same as before, but I’m personally doing better because I don’t think I would have started investing if Corona hadn’t hit. It gave me some time to think about my future and see how sad my projected pension income was going to be.
Pretty much the same here...
Tokyo
Veteran

Post by Tokyo »

Corona was a strange time to be retired. Unlike many others, we were never worried about being let go or having to make adjustments for remote work, etc. Our portfolio went down a bit but we have a few years of emergency funds to cover such events. This loss on paper, however, was compensated by the money we were forced to save by not being able to travel, eat out, buy gym memberships, etc over the last few years. A considerable amount was saved so overall it’s been good - but I am glad it all seems to be over.
yakushika

Post by yakushika »

I'm seriously worried abut inflation. I have decent savings and receive a pension but inflation could seriously damage my financial health if it carries on at this level, not just Japan but UK too