US REIT ETFs on Rakuten or SBI Securities

TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Re: US REIT ETFs on Rakuten or SBI Securities

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

ToushiTime wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:59 am Yes that 1.144% fee is high compared to 0.616-0.66% for the eMAXIS 先進国債券インデックス
I noticed the 1.144% only applies when the Treasury yield is 4% or higher. The fee is 0.374% to 0.924% for yields below that.
This seems to be the only mutual fund (trust) option I can find for investing in US treasuries, unhedged.
Are there any reasons to buy this product that would justify the higher fees?
Should I avoid it because of the US debt ceiling issue?
eMAXIS SLIM 先進国債券インデックス -
管理費用(含む信託報酬)(税込) 0.154

You are quoting the legacy fund. There is no reason to touch that one. You want the SLIM series.

I cannot comment on market movements or currency trends.

But Monex, Rakuten and SBI all sell Notes and Strips directly. So you might consider that option.
ToushiTime
Veteran

Post by ToushiTime »

So, why is the fee 7.5x higher for 米国国債ファンド為替ヘッジなし(年1回決算型)than for the eMAXIS Slim fund?
https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/fund/ ... 90C0009B54
There must be a reason...

If I buy Notes and Strips directly,

a) what are the currency conversion costs like?
b) is it possible to automate monthly purchases?
c) will these be from my 特定口座 account, which I have set to 源泉徴収ありi.e. tax withheld at source?
TokyoBoglehead
Veteran

Post by TokyoBoglehead »

ToushiTime wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:14 am So, why is the fee 7.5x higher for 米国国債ファンド為替ヘッジなし(年1回決算型)than for the eMAXIS Slim fund?
https://www.rakuten-sec.co.jp/web/fund/ ... 90C0009B54
There must be a reason...

If I buy Notes and Strips directly,

a) what are the currency conversion costs like?
b) is it possible to automate monthly purchases?
c) will these be from my 特定口座 account, which I have set to 源泉徴収ありi.e. tax withheld at source?
The old Emaxis It is a legacy fund. Before cheap index funds existed and there was market competition they set fees high.

Emaxis is the predecessor to the Emaxis Slim series.

There would no logical reason to buy this fund. But it still exists in many portfolios and DC plans etc.

Why is that other fund so high? You charge what people will pay. You were actively considering it, right? If it seemed like fair value to you then it may to others as well.

I feel differently (as would most passive investors) I think many active bond funds are even cheaper then that one....

I suggest you explore your brokers offerings. For Rakuten you can buy in Yen, USD or MMFs and receive in yen or USD.

You can use their rates or buy USD actively on their platform.

They will take care of the taxes.

I'm unsure about automation. It gets tricky when exchange rates are involved. You might not want it automated unless they guarantee a decent rate.
ToushiTime
Veteran

Post by ToushiTime »

OK, thanks again.
I have some exploring to do.