Proof of address in English

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
northSaver
Veteran

Proof of address in English

Post by northSaver »

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to supply proof of address information to financial institutions abroad when opening a new account. The choices seem to be:

1. Get your Japanese bank or utility company to supply a statement or bill with your address in English.

Shinsei don't do this as far as I know. On the PDF statements you can get online everything is in English except for my address. I considered changing my registered address to romaji but couldn't: you have to select a prefecture from a dropdown list, all in Japanese.

SBI are even worse - only Japanese on the online statements I've seen despite the interface being in English.

Local banks and utility companies... I doubt it.

Post Bank? My wife thinks I might be able to get something from them with my address in English if I ask and pay. Anyone heard about this or tried it?

OR:

2. Get a certified translation of a Japanese bill / statement.

I'll do this if all else fails, but it sounds expensive. Anyone know the going rate for this?

ALSO:

I have to get a certified copy of my passport, and the list of people who can do this is rather limited (judges, lawyers, accountants, police officers and a few others; NOT doctors or teachers). They would have to be good at English in case they were contacted. Sounds expensive!

Fortunately I've noticed that the British Post Office provide such a service (selected branches) and it only costs £12.75. Since I'll be visiting the UK this December this is what I plan to use.

Thanks!
Beaglehound
Veteran

Re: Proof of address in English

Post by Beaglehound »

Just a thought as I assume you are British, do you get letters from HMRC? And if so, could that be used?
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Beaglehound wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:55 am Just a thought as I assume you are British, do you get letters from HMRC? And if so, could that be used?
I don't think they will accept that, though I don't know why. I actually tried to use an HMRC letter in the past for a different application and it was rejected.

This bank requires either "a utility bill (e.g. electricity, telephone etc.) less than 6 months old (mobile phone bills are not acceptable)" or "An account statement from a recognised bank or credit card company, less than 6 months old (store card statements are not acceptable)".
Teflon
Veteran

Post by Teflon »

My Prestia bank statements are entirely in English including the address. Maybe consider opening an account with them?
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Teflon wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:28 am My Prestia bank statements are entirely in English including the address. Maybe consider opening an account with them?
Yes, that's a good idea. Thanks!
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

I think if you go in and speak directly to someone you will be able to get proof from your bank. I remember having to do this, go in and ask directly.

Passport. I think a priest can do it. Maybe you know one. :idea: I had to do this.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

A few years ago, I finally changed my address at HSBC from my dad’s place to my address in Japan. They asked me for a notorised proof of address. But normal notaries in Japan can’t do that. They could only notorise that it was me that signed a piece of paper where I self-certified a translation of my own address along with a copy of my driving licence. It was a hell of a faff. HSBC said they would pay for the cost of the notary but took me about six months of chasing for them to pay me back. Got a little bit of compensation when they eventually paid up.

So I hope your journey is smoother!
northSaver
Veteran

Post by northSaver »

Bubblegun wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:06 am I think if you go in and speak directly to someone you will be able to get proof from your bank. I remember having to do this, go in and ask directly.
Yes, that's what my wife thinks I can do at the Post Bank. She thinks there are Japanese students who want to study abroad and need to show a bank statement in English to the university or whatever to prove that they have enough money to pay the fees. I suppose other banks might provide this service too, for a fee.
Bubblegun wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:06 am Passport. I think a priest can do it. Maybe you know one. :idea: I had to do this.
I do know a priest who's very good at English, but unfortunately his profession isn't on the list.
Gareth wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:55 am So I hope your journey is smoother!
Thanks. Yeah, these things have not been smooth for me in the past, I guess it's the price to pay for being an expat :lol:
Here's hoping the UK Post Office document certification service and Prestia / Post Bank / local bank will make it easier this time.
beanhead
Sage

Post by beanhead »

northSaver wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:42 pm
Yes, that's what my wife thinks I can do at the Post Bank. She thinks there are Japanese students who want to study abroad and need to show a bank statement in English to the university or whatever to prove that they have enough money to pay the fees. I suppose other banks might provide this service too, for a fee.
Just did this with SONY Bank a few months ago. 2,000 yen or so charge to provide a statement in English.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

northSaver wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:42 pm
Bubblegun wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:06 am I think if you go in and speak directly to someone you will be able to get proof from your bank. I remember having to do this, go in and ask directly.
Now that you mention it.My wife had to do that, to show they had the money in the bank to support their life while in the UK.
So they absolutely do it for students who wish to study abroad.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.