Japan Annual Report of Overseas Assets

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
AreTheyTheLemmings?
Veteran

Re: Japan Annual Report of Overseas Assets

Post by AreTheyTheLemmings? »

According to the news last week, in a few years' time we'll be talking about "the 300,000 yen fine for not having your My Number card on you."
runmanTX
Regular

Post by runmanTX »

Beaglehound wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:44 pm
RetireJapan wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:37 pm
Gulliver wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:21 pm One year in jail?
I'm guessing this is one of those potential penalties that are rarely if ever applied (like the 20,000 yen fine for riding a bicycle with an umbrella or the 300,000 yen fine for not having your zairyu card on you).
Wow, 300k for no zairyu card! I don’t take it with me when I go running because I might lose it. May have to revise that, though as you say it would be a harsh copper who actually enforced it.
I rarely have my shirt while running, much less my gaijin card. :lol:
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

runmanTX wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:42 am
Beaglehound wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:44 pm
RetireJapan wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:37 pm

I'm guessing this is one of those potential penalties that are rarely if ever applied (like the 20,000 yen fine for riding a bicycle with an umbrella or the 300,000 yen fine for not having your zairyu card on you).
Wow, 300k for no zairyu card! I don’t take it with me when I go running because I might lose it. May have to revise that, though as you say it would be a harsh copper who actually enforced it.

I rarely have my shirt while running, much less my gaijin card. :lol:
:lol: Thank you, that makes me feel less of a renegade gaijin.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

All of my exercise clothes have zipper pockets for precisely this reason. I’m not going to give them a chance to tack on extra charges in the case I get arrested for self-defense, being a Good Samaritan or some other situation I inadvertently get pulled into.

Back on the original topic: it’s worth noting that ¥50 million is now only $336,009.
sutebayashi
Veteran

Post by sutebayashi »

They should really raise the threshold reporting level. I don’t think the tax people could handle all the paper if everyone were to report this sort of level of foreign assets. These tax rules have costs and benefits, but I imagine the costs haven’t been considered much. And indeed the recent yen weakness has changed circumstances a lot.
concerned
Veteran

Post by concerned »

I have been reporting overseas assets for a number of years. Its pretty detailed...
Address of your property abroad if you own one
If above property is rented out names of the tenants
Overseas Mortgage Amounts
Details of your overseas bank accounts; contact details of the bank where your account is held
Equity values in oversea brokers
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

concerned wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:41 am I have been reporting overseas assets for a number of years. Its pretty detailed...
Details of your overseas bank accounts; contact details of the bank where your account is held
Oh good so I guess my imaginary jet skis are safe then? 8-)
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

Got my packet in the mail today from the tax office--the forms and all for this--and was looking thru some older bookmarks.

This link, a fillable form, might be useful:

https://www.nta.go.jp/taxes/tetsuzuki/s ... 809_03.pdf
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

concerned wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:41 am I have been reporting overseas assets for a number of years. Its pretty detailed...
I did mine for the first time last year through my accountant, I was very surprised by the very detailed reporting that needed to be done tenants names and house building materials. Nothing like this is on the UK tax return. Saying that you can deduct so much for a property rental in Japan, I got a nice juicy minus- Well worth the effort!!
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

Gulliver wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:47 am Back on the original topic: it’s worth noting that ¥50 million is now only $336,009.
That is a pretty small amount.