HankNeva
Regular

Japan Annual Report of Overseas Assets

Post by HankNeva »

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Re: Japan Annual Report of Overseas Assets

Post by RetireJapan »

We're not quite there yet to but will file when we cross the threshold.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
eyeswideshut
Veteran

Post by eyeswideshut »

It was odd that the article referred to a 'new' reporting requirement and then just restated what the requirement has been since 2015. Anyway, I hate this requirement as it disproportionately affects foreigners here, is tedious and difficult to comply with and, if you fail to report or make a mistake in your reporting, it could give rise to penalties and even jail-time. Plus 50 million JPY is way too low a threshold as it means basically anyone with a house overseas is caught up in the requirement even if they would not normally have to file a tax return. I suspect (know) there are a lot of foreigners here who are oblivious to the requirement and could be at risk of penalties or worse.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

Yeah, cause if you’re a foreigner with over ¥50 million in assets you MUST be some kind of sneaky oil oligarch or French car executive… Rdiculous :roll:

Actually, if you’re an average middle class investor in their 50s or 60s and you DON’T have at least that amount in assets- then I would say there’s something wrong.

Gambate!
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

Gulliver wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:30 am
Actually, if you’re an average middle class investor in their 50s or 60s and you DON’T have at least that amount in assets- then I would say there’s something wrong.
Isn't it specifically related to overseas assets, though?
I don't have substantial assets outside of Japan, nor any intention of getting them. I may inherit a bit at some point, but I am not counting on that...
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Gulliver
Veteran

Post by Gulliver »

beanhead wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:34 pm
Gulliver wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:30 am
Isn't it specifically related to overseas assets, though?
I don't have substantial assets outside of Japan, nor any intention of getting them. I may inherit a bit at some point, but I am not counting on that...
Yes you’re right it’s for overseas assets. That doesn’t change the fact that it a low and onerous threshold for your average schmo. I’m not sure what they’re trying to accomplish here. If I do my taxes correctly what business is it of theirs how many jet skis I own in the US (more sarcasm- I don’t own a JetSki but if I did…) also, how is the average taxpayer possibly supposed to know about this requirement (unless he is an avid Retire Japan reader, of course). One year in jail??? I would’ve loved to be a fly on the wall when they came up with this one.
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Gulliver wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:21 pm One year in jail?
I'm guessing this is one of those potential penalties that are rarely if ever applied (like the 20,000 yen fine for riding a bicycle with an umbrella or the 300,000 yen fine for not having your zairyu card on you).

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

RetireJapan wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:37 pm
I'm guessing this is one of those potential penalties that are rarely if ever applied (like the 20,000 yen fine for riding a bicycle with an umbrella or the 300,000 yen fine for not having your zairyu card on you).
Wow, 300k for no zairyu card! I don’t take it with me when I go running because I might lose it. May have to revise that, though as you say it would be a harsh copper who actually enforced it.
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

Beaglehound wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:44 pm
RetireJapan wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:37 pm
Wow, 300k for no zairyu card! I don’t take it with me when I go running because I might lose it. May have to revise that, though as you say it would be a harsh copper who actually enforced it.
I believe it has never been enforced 🙄

I had a car accident once and didn't have my license or my zairyu card on me, the police just asked me to bring them to the station the next day: no penalty.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)