Changing money - What a rip-off!

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum
TJKansai
Veteran

Re: Changing money - What a rip-off!

Post by TJKansai »

No one wants coins, too heavy to post given their value.

That said, there are machines in airports that will take them for a big cut. I've also seen boxes for donations in airports.
MBK
Regular

Post by MBK »

Yeah, makes sense. Not really worth the postage.

So the options are keep it for a collection, look for one of those machines at the airport or use the stock of coins as a motivation for additional visit...and stick to card payments this time.

Thank you for the answer.
onionchutney

Post by onionchutney »

In a similar vein, where would anyone recommend for exchanging Yen to USD?
(I know the rate is absolutely pants right now, but I need dollars for a trip to Vietnam).
adamu
Sensei

Post by adamu »

IloveJapan wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:07 pm Does anyone know of a foreign exchange firm with REASONABLE commissions for converting cash? Specifically, I am talking about a few 20-pound notes that need to be exchanged into yen.
Paper or plastic? If plastic and you cover postage, I'll send you yen at the market rate on an agreed date via rakuten/paypay or bank transfer. Payment on delivery. 🙂

If they're paper, it might be quite a fun novelty to take a trip to the Bank of England on a trip back and hand them in. At least I would find that fun. :lol:
Bubblegun
Veteran

Post by Bubblegun »

IloveJapan wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:07 pm Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a foreign exchange firm with REASONABLE commissions for converting cash? Specifically, I am talking about a few 20-pound notes that need to be exchanged into yen.

I went to one dealer at Tokyo station, Travellex, and their rates are about Y150 to convert pounds to yen, and Y180 for yen to pounds! This is a total and utter rip-off! That means losing 10% of anything converted!

I mean, I know that with multiple problems like Brexit the pound is a very volatile currency, BUT is a 10% commission payment justified? Hey, no way! Even a 2-3% commission would be steep but more palatable.

I know that there may be other people on this forum who want to exchange sterling cash, given that that the old 20-pound and 50-pound notes are no longer legal tender from September.

The silly thing is, I have very few of these 20-pound notes to exchange, maybe just four or five, but moral considerations prevent me from simply exchanging at such a horrendous (10%) rate.

So my question is, what are you guys doing with your old notes? Can anyone recommend me some place with reasonable commission?

If not, I think I’ll simply hold onto the notes, due to my above-mentioned sense of morals, even though I reckon the pound will go down steeply due to Brexit, inflation and the like!

Have a nice day everyone!
Well I just sent back a 100 pounds to the UK, and they will transfer the 100 into my UK account, and they will spend the old 20s.
It'll either just sit there, or ill transfer it all back in the future with WISE.
Baldrick. Trying to save the world.