Prestia and leaving Japan/pension/iDeco

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
HeavyMetal
Regular

Prestia and leaving Japan/pension/iDeco

Post by HeavyMetal »

Good day everyone,
Few years ago I talked to Presia bank staff and was told that in case I have account in Prestia and keep certain amount on it (500,000 yen I think) I can keep this account even if I leave Japan (AFAIK you have to close all local banks accounts if you leave Japan - please correct me if I'm wrong!)
Did anyone use this option? Asking because never saw anything about it, in this forum (maybe missed)
But, if that's possible - it would be great to have it, to receive Japanese pension or iDeco, even being overseas, and much better than regular wire transfers to foreign banks, which is crazy expensive here and shall cut huge amount of all the profits. Also having Prestia credit card might eliminate the need of wire transfers at all.
Any ideas on it? Sounds bit too good to be true :D
Thanks!
Deep Blue
Veteran

Re: Prestia and leaving Japan/pension/iDeco

Post by Deep Blue »

I left Japan for seven years and kept my Prestia account open. They did disable some functionality on domestic transfers. But I was able to receive money, use it to buy a house, set up a mortgage and set up all the autopay for utilities etc all while living in another country.

When I returned to Japan in 2017 I gave them a copy of my new zairyu card and they re-enabled all the functions that were paused.

The regulations change though, so worth getting an updated view from them.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

HeavyMetal wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:09 am Few years ago I talked to Presia bank staff and was told that in case I have account in Prestia and keep certain amount on it (500,000 yen I think) I can keep this account even if I leave Japan
Any ideas on it? Sounds bit too good to be true :D
<Redacted on request.>
<revision> ***If you are a Japanese National by birth or naturalisation.***
Whilst services are restricted it looks like you'd be able to receive money and access it from an ATM. However, it does appear this is more focussed to folks being sent abroad on overseas work assignment. So you could start your own company, employ yourself, then send you to investigate golf courses in Florida for example..

https://www.smbctb.co.jp/en/support/upd ... entdks.pdf

If however, you are of the foreigner persuasion the new is less than stellar. See the "To Foreign Nationals Leaving Japan" Section.
Spoiler Alert: They'll help you close your account. :|
Last edited by Moneymatters on Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Desperately Seeking Severance”
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

If you are leaving Japan for good, they’ll help you close your account. If you’re planning on re-entering they’ll advise you of the necessary steps. Would be interesting to find out what those are now.

For what it’s worth, those six restrictions are the ones imposed on me when I left, I remember having to close the credit card too.
HeavyMetal
Regular

Post by HeavyMetal »

Thanks for replies guys!
Deep Blue wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:48 am I left Japan for seven years and kept my Prestia account open
Did you tell them you're coming back someday?

Moneymatters wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:11 am Spoiler Alert: They'll help you close your account
Yeah they didn't mention that at all, when I talked to them. Neither any of the restrictions. But maybe I wouldn't care bout those, I only needed a "working" account in Japan during my absence, for some local transfers

Deep Blue wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:33 am those six restrictions are the ones imposed on me when I left
Sorry I didn't get - which "six restrictions", exactly?
Deep Blue
Veteran

Post by Deep Blue »

The six account restrictions while abroad are listed in the link posted above by moneymatters

https://www.smbctb.co.jp/en/support/upd ... entdks.pdf
Gareth
Veteran

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moneymatters
Veteran

Post by Moneymatters »

Gareth wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:51 am
Moneymatters wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:11 am <Redacted to avoid Confusion>
Is this really necessary? Please delete it.
Nothing I post is necessary. Very little of what I do is!
But it's never an intention to offend so I've removed the sentence in question.

Clearly you need to remove my quote for your post. :D
"Desperately Seeking Severance”
RetireJapan
Site Admin

Post by RetireJapan »

For what it's worth, I enjoy Moneymatters' contributions.
English teacher and writer. RetireJapan founder. Avid reader.

eMaxis Slim Shady 8-)
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

RetireJapan wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:46 am For what it's worth, I enjoy Moneymatters' contributions.
Yeah, I always find them funny. Don’t think the post in question crossed any lines but good to see that folk on here can sort out any differences amicably.