EV cars - worth the price or stick with hybird

Tips to save money in Japan, life better for less, etc.
captainspoke
Sensei

Re: EV cars - worth the price or stick with hybird

Post by captainspoke »

This is the right idea, but it's certainly going to be expensive. And it looks big, perhaps something like an Estima/Alphard? One downside is that it likely has a similarly large turning radius (maybe 5.5m+?). For my driving, that would be a pain to deal with--parking, some turns, and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5fYQYsUoK4
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

I would seriously consider buying the ID Buzz if it was available in Japan. Great design and utility, it ticks a lot of boxes for me. There are two wheelbase lengths apparently, the longer one accommodates three rows of seats while the shorter one sacrifiices the third row. If you want to sleep in it camper style, the longer one is recommended by those in the know.
TJKansai
Veteran

Post by TJKansai »

sytyue wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:21 am I heard though that the installation of home chargers have gone up due to lack of supplies.
Nissan said they would cover the home charger installation, up to ¥200,000 I think.
sytyue
Regular

Post by sytyue »

TJKansai wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:22 am
sytyue wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:21 am I heard though that the installation of home chargers have gone up due to lack of supplies.
Nissan said they would cover the home charger installation, up to ¥200,000 I think.
Ohh didn't know that . Will have to double check with the dealers. Nissan (home charger) AND government (the car itself) subsidies is pretty good incentive for me to buy new instead of used.
sytyue
Regular

Post by sytyue »

mighty58 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:12 am I would seriously consider buying the ID Buzz if it was available in Japan. Great design and utility, it ticks a lot of boxes for me. There are two wheelbase lengths apparently, the longer one accommodates three rows of seats while the shorter one sacrifiices the third row. If you want to sleep in it camper style, the longer one is recommended by those in the know.
It certainly looks nice. But I can imagine the price being higher than the Ariya if it does start selling in Japan.
onionchutney

Post by onionchutney »

This is almost the same topic, so I hope it's OK to put here...
Does anyone own an electric moped? I'm looking at for my commute and wondering whether it's worth the initial cost/electric bill increase for charding VS cheap cost of petrol moped/the very cheap petrol refills.

Any insight/experiences?
captainspoke
Sensei

Post by captainspoke »

This one satisfies my preference for a kei sized car with a tight turning circle.

But they're not showing the rear space at all well--another 'ask' is being able to fit a bike in the back.

https://www3.nissan.co.jp/vehicles/new/sakura.html
mighty58
Veteran

Post by mighty58 »

onionchutney wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:30 am This is almost the same topic, so I hope it's OK to put here...
Does anyone own an electric moped? I'm looking at for my commute and wondering whether it's worth the initial cost/electric bill increase for charding VS cheap cost of petrol moped/the very cheap petrol refills.

Any insight/experiences?
You're referring to small mopeds (i.e. <50cc class)? Using the Yamaha e-Vino as an example, the battery is so small the cost of charging is negligible (14-20yen per charge). But the range is extremely limited, just 29km, and that's in the very best of conditions. Meanwhile with the regular Vino, they're so efficient you can easily expect 40-50km/liter real-world fuel economy, it costs about 500yen to fill up, and you'll get around 200km to the tank. So the regular one wins hands down in terms of ease of use. Consider also that the e-version costs a full 60,000yen more, and it'll take a lot of km to make up that initial price difference. Maybe the economics make more sense with some of the cheaper Chinese models, but then again maybe not.
Now if there was a service such as Gogoro in Taiwan with the swappable batteries, I think it would make a lot of sense.
onionchutney

Post by onionchutney »

[/quote]

Meanwhile with the regular Vino, they're so efficient you can easily expect 40-50km/liter real-world fuel economy, it costs about 500yen to fill up, and you'll get around 200km to the tank. So the regular one wins hands down in terms of ease of use. Consider also that the e-version costs a full 60,000yen more, and it'll take a lot of km to make up that initial price difference.

[/quote]

Thanks for that. I suppose it'll be a regular petrol moped then until there's a significant change.