Any need to notify about foreign bank a/c?

This forum is to discuss anything to do with banks and banking services.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Re: Any need to notify about foreign bank a/c?

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

Tokyo35 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:35 am
Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:20 pm If you have kept your address in Ireland as you registered address with the bank, you do not need to worry about anything. If you tell them your Japanese address expect some questions about your 'My number' I do the same as you and with internet banking it is easy to operate your bank account from Japan.
Hello Wales4rugby,

But as others have said, transferring a lot of money to my account in Ireland might trigger some questions. I wonder if I would avoid waking sleeping dogs by transferring money to both siblings directly from Japan?

M
I have done quite large transfers over the last few years with cashing in an investment policy and putting down a deposit for a house in the UK and I haven't faced any questions. On the other hand I have been asked questions by the bank and the tax office when I have brought over large amounts from the UK to Japan. You could always telephone the Irish bank to tell them about the transfer.
Tokyo35
Regular

Post by Tokyo35 »

Thanks again, Wales4rugby, for that reply.

With all that is going on in the world now, I wouldn't be surprised if AML measures have been made stricter.

Cheers, M
KyushuWoozy
Veteran

Post by KyushuWoozy »

Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:22 am
On the other hand I have been asked questions by the bank and the tax office when I have brought over large amounts from the UK to Japan.
Can I ask what amounts piqued their curiosity?
https://www.kyushujourneys.com/
Kyushu's Biggest Fans!
beanhead
Sensei

Post by beanhead »

KyushuWoozy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:16 am
I asked my bank this question once and they said they couldn't tell me.
I have heard the figure 10M (yen, of course!) bandied about, though.
Aiming to retire at 60 and live for a while longer. 95% index funds (eMaxis Slim etc), 5% Japanese dividend stocks.
Wales4rugbyWC23
Veteran

Post by Wales4rugbyWC23 »

KyushuWoozy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:16 am
Wales4rugbyWC19 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:22 am
On the other hand I have been asked questions by the bank and the tax office when I have brought over large amounts from the UK to Japan.
9 million for a housing deposit. They asked me what it was for and didn't hear anything else after that.
Beaglehound
Veteran

Post by Beaglehound »

I sent over 10 million twice, 4 years ago and 3 years ago respectively and the bank was curious both times but no questions from the tax folk, so far anyway. I guess banks will always ask but tax depends on your ‘luck’.